32

The car ride was silent for the majority of the journey, the only sounds being the hum of the engine and the bustle of the city surrounding them. Confusion still circled Emmie's mind, but she was curious to know what had occupied Joe for so long. He wouldn't tell her much, only that it was important that she go with him.

He glanced over at her every so often, but she didn't return the look. She was still upset that he hadn't confronted her about the situation in the first place. She didn't understand why he wouldn't tell her anything. Instead she kept her gaze on the window, digging her nails into the palm of her hand.

Eventually, the sound of the busy streets faded, and the roads became empty as the plains of grass came into view. Emmie continued to stare out of the window, slowly recognising the drive they were taking. She was almost certain this had been the same place that Joe had taken her just days before.

The car rolled to a stop, on the same side of the road. They sat in silence for a moment, Emmie finally making eye contact with Joe. She shuffled uncomfortably in her seat, unsure what to say. Joe clears his throat, scarcely glancing at her.

"What are we doing here?" Emmie mumbled, chewing on her lip, anxiously.

"Just follow me." He tells her, jumping out of the car. She sits there in silence, debating whether or not she should go with him. She had gotten this far, so there was no going back now. Joe appears by her side, opening the door for her, reaching for her hand.

Emmie reluctantly takes it, feeling a wave of comfort wash over her, as much as she didn't want to. She wanted to be upset with him, for leaving her hanging. But she couldn't. He was just too likeable to hold a grudge. And she was intrigued by what he had to show her.

Joe led her through the same overgrown bushes, down the crumbled pathway and carefully down onto the opening of the beach. Emmie frowned, still confused.

"Joe, now is not the time to be at the beach-" She began, but then she saw it.

Fairy lights. Hanging from the tree that overhung the beach. Giving the sand the most amazing golden glow. A small striped blanket stretched out on the ground, with Joe's guitar lying beside it. The sun was beginning to set, creating the most beautiful contrast along the beach. The faint sounds of birds chirping and the waves crashing filled their ears. Emmie's eyes lit up at the sight, feeling Joe's hand stroking hers as she stared in awe.

"I- What is this?" She asked, her voice soft, but she couldn't hide the smile on her face as she glanced at everything sat before her.

"This.." Joe began, "Is your day to celebrate your best friend." He smiled at her, finally gaining a happy response. Her whole face softened at his words, and for a moment, Joe was almost sure that she was about to cry. Emmie looked at him, a sad smile painting her face as she tried to find the words to say.

"Joe.." She whispered, "This is beautiful." She reached out, tracing the outline of the lights that hung above them. "You did all of this for me?"

She looked back at him, his brown eyes glistening as he smiled once more. "For you.. and for Caleb."

Her face crumpled at his words, feeling her eye water slightly. Emmie quickly pulled him into a hug to distract herself, a tight grip on the fabric of his shirt. She felt Joe's arms wrap around her waist as she buried her face into his neck.

"I can't believe you." She mumbled, a breathy laugh leaving her lips. When she pulled away, she saw the smile on his face.

"I'm sorry for not telling you." Joe explained, "Of course I knew how much this day means to you, which is why I wanted to do something special."