40

Emmie smiles as she lets her feet sink beneath the warmth of the sand. She had no idea why she had decided to put her shoes back on in the first place, but she didn't have time to question it. She slid them off, placing her bag down onto the sand beside them. She smiled to herself, noticing the golden hues in the sky beginning to become more and more noticeable. She shuffles her feet further forward, hearing the waves crash against the shore. The scene was peaceful, making her feel at ease as she grasped her camera between her fingers.

Joe follows close behind, kicking his shoes off, not caring where they decided to land. He grinned at the girl in front of him, watching the way she focused on the different lenses on her camera. She brought it up to her eye-line, squinting a little so she could find exactly what she wanted to capture.

The camera clicked as the photo was taken, Emmie bringing it down from her face.

"You make it look so easy." Joe chuckled, appearing by her side.

She handed him the camera, smiling as he attempted to take his own photos, but struggled a bit as he tried to get the lens to focus. He fumbled around with all the different settings, letting out a huff when he couldn't figure it out.

"Here." Emmie offered, leaning towards him, resting her hands on his as she helps him adjust the camera. She smiles at him, bringing it up to his eye line. Joe furrows his brows, pressing his lips together as he focuses on taking a simple photo. He couldn't understand why it was so difficult this time around, but he guessed it was probably all the different lightings surrounding them, and learning to capture then perfectly was difficult.

The camera shutter clicked, a proud grin forming on Joe's face. He pulled the screen away from his face, watching as the photo disappeared. He waited for it to print, expecting some perfect photo to appear. But nothing happened. He frowned, glancing down at Emmie who smiled at him.

"It's a different camera." She told him, slightly amused.

Joe raised his eyebrows, glancing back down at the equipment in his hand, and then back at her. She was right. It wasn't the polaroid camera he was used to. No wonder he couldn't get it to work properly.

"We need to get the photos developed if we want them back." She explained.

"So you're just taking all these photos, without knowing what they look like?"

"I guess so." She shrugged. "It's more fun that way. We get to see our memories again, not knowing what we managed to capture."

Joe smiled at her words. He loved her way of thinking. She always saw the little things as something more memorable. He looked out at the ocean once more, snapping a few more photos, hoping they would turn out better than he thought.

He turned to Emmie, placing the camera back into her grasp, their fingers brushing together, making them both smile. Their eyes met, getting caught in the moment. Their hands laced together as Joe stepped an inch closer. The wind whipped at their hair, as Joe reach up, brushing away any loose strands from her face.

She smiled at his touch, his fingers gentle against her skin. His hand lingered, tangling itself within her blonde curls, reaching for the back of her neck to pull her in closer. He smiled at her, wanting to feel closer to her, although there were only inches between them. She leant into him, their eyes still only focused on each other. As Joe flicked to her lips, ready to close the gap between them, a cold splash wrapping around their legs, quickly pulled them apart.

They jumped back, letting out a gasp as the water crashed against the shore, the tide clearly coming in faster than they had realised. Joe let out a chuckle, not caring that the ends of his jeans were now drenched, the denim soaking up the seawater.