51

It was no doubt Emmie loved Christmas. She couldn't explain how much joy she felt during that time of year, as it showed across the cheery expression she held across her face. But she knew this year would be different. After admitting to Joe about spending time with family, she did wonder if it would be worth trying to reach out again, but in the back of her mind- she knew it probably wouldn't work.

This year she wanted to focus on her own happiness, and spending time with her closest friends. Dani and Priyanka had welcomed her with open arms to spend the holidays with them- explaining that they had already planned to celebrate together with the boys. 

She had debated it for a while, not wanting to intrude during such a special time- but of course the five of them insisted. And Joe wouldn't drop the subject until she agreed. Emmie assumed it was because he knew how much spending time with family meant to her, knowing the feeling of not being close to his family. And he never wanted her to feel that way, so until things looked up for her, he would be all the family she needed.

The three girls sat in the lounge, curled up on the couch buried under piles of fluffy blankets, as they waited for the boys to return home. They had been spending more and more time down at the studio, perfecting any songs they felt needed some more work- getting ready for the release of their album. It was happening fast and none of them had any idea what to expect. But they were sure about one thing- they were proud of themselves and knew it was the best thing for them.

Alena and Valentina had been playing upstairs in their bedrooms when they eventually came padding down the stairs, a chorus of giggles following them as they appeared in the lounge. A smile lit up Dani's face as she held her arms out for her girls to hug her. The jumped onto the couch, lying across the blankets as they grinned at Priyanka and Emmie, who watched them with wide smiles.

"When's daddy coming home?" Valentina asked, frowning a little as she pouted.

"Very soon." Dani reassured her, although the truth was, she had no idea. The boys had been so busy recently, their attention completely focused on their music, that they had no time to think of anything else. Alena and Valentina were feeling it the most, only longing for Kevin to be the one to put them to bed for one night, rather than a quick conversation over the phone, with no hugs or kisses goodnight.

The girls knew that they felt bad, wanting to spend more time together, but of course getting the band back together meant that sometimes they would have to sacrifice family time.

Valentina let out a small huff, sliding down to lay in Dani's lap. She smiled, running her fingers through her daughter's hair as she tried to comfort her. Dani wanted nothing more than for Kevin to be able to spend all his time with his girls, but she knew how much the music meant to him, so she would put on a strong front, keeping a smile on her face for the rest of her family.

"How about we do some baking?" Emmie spoke up, catching glances with the two little girls sat beside her. "I've got some amazing Christmas recipes that I think you'll like."

Alena and Valentina looked at each other, an excited smile on their faces as they nodded eagerly.

Emmie looked at the other two, in which Dani gave her an appreciative nod. The girls jumped up from the couch, getting tangled in the blankets as their feet landed on the floor below. The quickly skipped into the kitchen, giggling once more as they excitedly squealed.

Emmie helped them drag two chairs over to the counter, propping them up onto their feet so they could see better from their small height. She leant against the counter, beside them, looking at the two with a smile.

"So, sugar cookies or cupcakes?" She asked, watching their eyes light up once more.

"Cookies!"

"Cupcakes!"