41

Emmie woke up with a smile on her face, tangled in the sheets, with her arm stretched out over Joe's back. He lie on his front, facing her side, eyes shut with a small pout on his lips. She admired the way his curls fell forward, over his forehead, but not quite in his eye. He looked so calm. So comfortable.

She let out a small sigh, watching the way Joe's breathing was slow and heavy. She wanted to reach out, and feel how soft his curls were, between her fingertips. But she knew better than to wake him from the peaceful bliss he found himself in.

She stretched her legs out, feeling slightly more awake than she had been a few moments ago. She glanced around the room, the sunlight creeping through from the opposite wall, creating layers of light throughout. She felt the mattress dip beside her, as Joe let out a soft groan, rolling to the over side of the bed, taking the covers with him. She stifled a laugh, shaking her head with a smile, watching as he made himself comfortable in his sleep, tightly wrapping the sheets over himself.

She carefully pulled back what was left of them, instantly feeling the warmth disappear as she was careful not to wake Joe. The tips of her toes touched the coldness of the wooden floor, as she sat on the edge of the bed, feeling the softeness of the sheets around her. She took one more glance over at the brunette happily curled up within the covers, a faint smile tugging at his lips.

Emmie slipped away from the bed, padding over to the bathroom where she quietly shut herself inside, staring at the reflection in the mirror. Her hair was a complete mess, slightly frizzy on one side from when she had slept on it all night. She attempted to flatten it with her hands but it was no use. The humidity probably wasn't helping either.

She smiled to herself as she fixed her appearance, splashing cold water on her face to brighten her skin. She brushed her teeth, combed through her hair, before deciding it was the best she could get for early in the morning.

She wasn't sure how long she had spent in front of the mirror, but it was long enough for Joe to rise from his sleep. When she wandered back into the room, he was sat up, leaning against the headboard with a tired smile on his face as his eyes met hers.

"Hey." She smiled, watching as he stretched his arms out in front of him, before resting them behind his head.

"G'Morning." He rasped, smiling back just as willingly.

"Sleep well?" She asked, feeling amused as she remembered how adorable he had looked moments before. Joe pouted at her, catching on to her teasing, but decided not to ask.

"Not too bad." He mumbled with a smirk, letting out a yawn. His eyes fluttered shut as he attempted to let himself fall asleep again. Emmie smiled, stepping towards him, sinking down onto the bed beside him, making him jump at the impact. His eyes shot open and he glared at her.

"I'm tired." He told her, a slight whine in his voice.

"Joe, we've slept in enough already." She grinned, glancing at the window, the sun already beaming down into the room.

"Five more minutes.." He mumbled, shutting his eyes again as he folded his arms over his chest.

"Joe." Emmie smiled, trying to stop him. She reached out for his arm, but he grasped her hand, quickly pulling her onto his lap so that she was straddling him. Her eyes widened in shock as he smirked at her. She attempted to roll away from him, but he kept her put.

"Stop moving and let me sleep." He gave her a lazy smile, a humorous sparkle in his eyes. He placed his hands on her shoulders, pulling her down to lay on his chest as he wrapped him arms around her.

She smiled into him, deciding to relax for a moment. Joe's body was warm, and she felt comfortable within his grasp. When she looked back up at him, he was already looking down at her, his lips curling up at the corners. Emmie reached up, running her hands through his messy bed hair, tangling her fingers in his curls. He smiled appreciatively, leaning his head back slightly.