𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

disclaimer: mentions of death.

•••

Abby woke up on Quinn's chest, with her phone ringing. Without checking who was calling her she picked up.

"Hello?" said in a groggy voice "Hi princess," said her mother on the other side of the phone.

Abby sat up in her bed while Quinn groaned at the loss of touch but rolled over and fell back asleep. "Mama what's up" said Abby with a smile on her face. Her mother never called often, she was old school and didn't know how to use her phone that well.

"Oh honey I have some terrible news," said her mother with a shakey voice. Abby's smile dropped from her face. Quinn also woke up when he heard his girlfriend talking to someone.

"Hey what's up babe," asked Quinn with confusion while he sat up. Abby gave him a hand gesture of "Hold on".

"Your father was in a drunk driving crash this morning" her mother started. "And I'm sorry Angel but he passed away from the accident" her mother finished then broke out into a sob over the phone.

Abby was in shock, he had tears in her eyes that threatened to run down her face. Quinn sat next to her waiting patiently for Abby to get off the phone.

"Okay well be home as soon as we can," said Abby to her hysterical mother. "Okay see you soon darling," said her mother before hanging up the phone.

Once the call had ended, Abby placed her phone on the bed and turned toward Quinn. He was still confused about what happened but he knew this wasn't the time to ask.

Abby fell into his arms and started to sob. Quinn's hands made their way to her hair, he stroked her hair softly while telling her it was going to be okay.

He didn't have to ask anymore, he knew. After almost 30 minutes of Abby crying she looked up at Quinn. Her eyes are bloodshot red, tears stain down her face, and snot dripping down her nose.

Abby reluctantly got up out of bed and went to grab her computer, she needed to look for flights. "Quinn," asked Abby as she typed in the airport site. "Yes babydoll" responded Quinn.

"I know it's a lot to ask but will you come with me back home" asked Abby with hope in her voice. "Absolutely baby," said Quinn as he pulled out his phone dialing his coach's number.

He was immediately connected to his coach. "Hi Quinn what's up," asked his coach. "I won't be able to make it to tonight, and tomorrow's game," said Quinn speaking as stable as he could, "I have a family emergency" he finished.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Quinn." said his coach. "But you do know that if you miss these next two games you won't be able to start for the next two games you back for," said his coach explaining the policy.

"Yes sir I know," said Quinn without flinching. "Okay well thank you for letting me know," said his coach before hanging up.

"Oh Quinn I'm so sorry," said Abby "I forgot about your games this week" rambled Abby. "Quinn please stay I don't want you losing out on playing time just because of me" she finished as more tears weld up in her eyes for the second time that morning.

"No honey listen," started Quinn "I would do anything for you, it's just a hockey game. I'll play many more in my career, I want to be with you right now," he said while hugging his girlfriend.

"Okay thanks, Quinn, I appreciate it," she said as she went back to looking at flights to Wisconsin.

•••
They could only find one last-minute flight to Wisconsin. It would also have a two-hour layover in Dover, Colorado but the couple wasn't complaining.