ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕰ver since the late night kitchen rendezvous, things had been fairly smooth sailing.

A sort of toleration, civil existence, middle ground between hot fire and cool ice had been found between the Gryffindor and Slytherin, diminishing down their constant snarky spats to more occasional occasional comments that couldn't be helped, really. They could be in the same room without there being the great possibility of the space going in up flames. They could share a carriage to Hogsmeade village with their friends without the risk of the whole thing flipping over.

"Oops. Looks like there's only one space left, you'll have to share" Evan announces, sporting a broad grin that Romie's hand itches to smack off.

Pausing on the small stepstool, she studies the carriage, her eyes narrowing on the two Slytherin boys happily making themselves at home, extending out their big, long limbs, leaving no room on their side of the bench. She sighs, peering over her shoulder to the boy on the snow dusted ground behind, his gaze whipping up to meet hers from what she can only assume her arse. He half shrugs, quickly following her up when she reluctantly consents, not keen on waiting around for another by herself.

She huffs, plonking herself down sideways on Regulus' lap, "Fucking men and their manspreading"

"It's all necessary, I'm afraid. Overheating down there is terrible" Evan excuses, raising not just Romie's eyebrows, but Pandora and Hestia's too.

"Blimey, overheating down there. And I thought shedding the walls of the womb and bleeding for what equates to ten nonstop years was bad. You lads have it rough"

Whether they gaged the tone of sympathy was in mock of them, they didn't let on, eliciting a scoff from Romie when they bow their heads in a pained sorrowfulness. She re-adjusts herself to ignore them, diving deep into a conversation with Hestia and Pandora about the strange dream the latter had the night before. It's only when she spies them sneakily whispering back and forth out of the corner of her eye that she acknowledges their presence again. And she's not the only one that clocked on either.

"Do you think we should tell them? I think we should tell them"

"Tell us what?"

Romie jumps slightly, having not realised how truly little the proximity between her and Regulus was. Little enough that she can practically feel the steady vibrations of his deep voice inside her own chest. Her palm presses against her sternum, stopping the thrums from continuing any longer so that she can focus on what's making the suspiciously sly sparkles inside of their eyes, well, sparkle. It's Barty that divulges the unravelling secret, him and Evan nudging each other with playful elbows, lingering much longer for any type of ordinary friends.

"You see, being the generous, supportive friends we are, we already went ahead and booked you a romantic table for two at Madame Puddifoots"

A moment passes, the only noise being the rocking clattering from the carriage and the other two girls' hands flying up to muffle the giggles bubbling up their throat. Affixed, they blankly stare, even when Romie's hand moves behind, two fingers lightly planting underneath Regulus' chin, sliding his head forwards to align up with hers. Then, terrifyingly calm and soft,