ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 19

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕽egulus blood runs cold like the serpent he wears over his heart.

James and Lily's gazes have averted off him, landing somewhere else. On someone else. The someone that's emerged right beside him. Regulus has yet to join them, his pale eyes glued to a hazy spot over Lily's right shoulder. He knows it's going to be a fleeting thing, that, unfortunately, at some point, a very near some point, he'll have no choice in the matter and do the same. He basks in what little time he has left, because by God, Merlin knows what's going to happen to him when he finally does.

Strategically taking deep, calm breaths, he manages to turn his head, acknowledging who's there. Almost immediately, his strategy fails and he's sucking in a sharp breath, his lungs burning at the swift change.

For as long as Regulus can remember the only colour that pine green paired nicely with was sterling silver, he didn't like anything else. But now that he's seeing it, in front of his very eyes, he doesn't think green and gold is too bad of a match. Not when it's against Romie Lupin anyway.

Tiny chains of diamonds of the pine green dust across the upper segment of her forehead, trailing down her temples and across the high of her cheekbones, alluding to the effect of delicate scales. The colour scheme proceeds across her eyelids and plump lips, accentuating the unique shade of her eyes. Except that tonight, they're not that brilliant shade of purply violet, somehow a plain russet brown.

Regulus disregards the odd pang in the centre of his chest, instead focusing on the piece of jewellery in an unexpected place. All across her forehead the golden chains stretch, disappearing into the hairlines of her wavy curls. That's not what beckoned his attention, though, that role was seized by the charm dangling down between her brows.

A snake.

Chief snake.

Realisation dawned on him suddenly, and if she hadn't pinned her vision on him, effectively turning him to solid stone, Regulus perhaps, maybe, most likely would have chuckled in pure amusement.

"I've been looking for you" Romie says simply, initially unsure if he's able to hear her or not over the music Sirius is blasting out.

Her answer is soon answered, because surprise rounds his eyes slightly and he drags his teeth across his lower lip, processing the underlying meaning behind her words.

"Have you?" He mumbles, silvery eyes dancing all over her glamoured features as she gently hums a hum of confirmation.

It's then, he seems to remember the observant presence of James and Lily, shuffling forwards to perform that greeting they've accomplished a handful of times. However, unlike those other times, Regulus is in front rather than behind her, meaning that Romie's facing him, up close and personal, when he slowly hooks his arms around her neck and shoulders, tilting his head to kiss her cheek. Her hand reaches up, lightly clasping around his bicep and holding him there, reminding herself to breathe, that she's safe, she's in control.