ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

"𝕿hese seats taken?"

Romie glances up from her dinner plate, arching a brow at the broad smiling faces of the three Gryffindor girls in the year above.

"You never ask to sit near me" She says, feeling a twist of suspicion in her chest. Lily, ever the unfailingly kind sweetheart, shrugs a shoulder, replying,

"This isn't your usual spot. We thought better to ask than intrude if you needed space"

She was right. This wasn't Romie's usual spot at the Gryffindor table, having opted for a more central spot than near the grand, oak entrance doors to the hall. But it wasn't because she needed space. It was because there was only so much tolerance she had for seventh year boys thinking they had more control over her than they had. Romie was no puppet on a string that needed a master, she was the master of herself, quite capable of making her own decisions and choices. And those decisions and choices needed to be respected, whether they were good ones or not.

The Marauders weren't respecting her decisions and choices. The girls, on the other hand, had never given Romie any reason to suspect ulterior motives.

"You can sit" She agrees, smiling faintly as all three flopped down on the bench at once, helping themselves to the delicious dinner spread.

Noticing the lack of canary yellow amidst the sea of crimson red, Mary wonders curiously, "Where's Hestia?"

A knowing grin worms onto Romie's face, head tilting backwards in the direction of the badger table on the other side of Ravenclaw's, where Pandora and Xenophilius are quietly chatting. Nosily, Lily, Mary and Marlene's eyes looked over, taking in the sight of a rather flustered Hestia Jones, exchanging shy whispers with clever and bright Amelia Bones, shoulders pressed together.

Marlene hums, not-so discreetly checking out the undeniably gorgeous brunette, "Cracking choice. Fantastic chaser too"

Lily sighs, emerald eyes rolling, "There's more to a person than Quidditch, Marlene"

"You're saying that, but those hunky biceps of Potter's you were eyeing up the other day are from Quidditch" Marlene retorts, flexing her own arm, showing off the generous muscle she's been working on building.

A red the similar shade to her hair fills Lily's cheeks, hurriedly leaning over the table to hush, "Shh! Not so loud!"

Mary's smile grew three times bigger, shoulders beginning to shimmy in a teasing manner, "And she's not denying it!"

If humanly possible, Lily turned redder, glaring fiercely at the other three girls now grinning like cheshire cat's, knowing that they've caught her out. Marlene's quickly morphed into a smirk, a devious smirk that matches the sinful sparkle in her eyes when she goads,