ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕽omie locked herself away in her dorm, skipping the rest of the day.

Her dorm mates knew not to bother her, for the shutting scarlet curtains around her four-poster bed indicated to an explicit do not disturb sign. Anyone who dared to do otherwise had to accept the risk factors and possible nasty outcomes. It was common knowledge that sometimes, when rubbed the wrong way, Romie wasn't the most delightful of company to be around, which was why she knew well to distance herself from others, preventing any unintentional hurt.

She didn't know exactly what the time on the clock read, only that when the curtains drew back to reveal three familiar faces, the moon was high and visible in the window behind them.

"Hey. We brought some dinner in case you're hungry" Lily says gently, gesturing to the steaming plate of chicken, potatoes and veg Mary is producing from behind her back.

The curly haired witch smiles brightly, placing the plate down on her bedside table, ready for whenever Romie decides to listen to her stomach's relentless grumbles of hunger. Whilst Lily sends a questioning look whether she can perch on the edge of the bed or not, Marlene bravely decides to risk it all, throwing herself down across the foot of the single bed, hoping the lion doesn't tear her to pieces and have her for dinner instead.

"Marlene!" Lily hisses scoldingly, the Scot groaning, her voice muffled against the blankets, "Shove off, Lily. Practice was tough"

"Oh, don't we know. A certain someone was practically drooling over James when he came in, all ruffled and sweaty" Mary teases, giggling at the flush that dusts across Lily's cheeks.

She rolls her eyes, happening to catch that of Romie's enchanting violet straight afterwards, her face falling into an apologetic frown and half smile.

"Oh, Romie. We're sorry for trying to pry, I don't know what we were thinking. It's your life, only you get to make the decisions"

"And if that decision is dating Regulus Black, then — grand" Marlene chirps, propping herself up on her elbows, peering over her shoulder when Mary waggles her eyebrows, adding girlishly,

"Besides, he's not too bad on the eyes if you get what I mean"

Romie's quick to school her expression from something sullen and bitter at the mention of that slick bastard to something more believable, something concurring to Mary's comment. Still, she remains silent, drawing her knees right up to her chest until it's the perfect position for a comfortable chin stand. Lily's hand briefly sweeps across her socked foot in a manner of solace and Romie dreaded what she knew was coming next.

"We heard about the lesson"

Lily's tone is light and tender in its approach, like she's treading carefully, reluctant to tip Romie off the edge again, especially now that she's in her safe, private space to cool off. Romie swallows thickly, swallows down the scream that sneakily crawls up her throat, gaze flickering over to Marlene instead when she scoffs,