ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 77

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕽egulus pops another peppermint sweet into his mouth, shoving the wrapper into his pocket.

He's just finished his fleeting trip down to the Potions classroom and is on his way outside to meet Romie, Barty and Evan. Hestia hadn't been there when they split up and decided to reconvene later, a heated snogging session with Amelia Bones in Greenhouse Four taking precedence. But a hunch tells Regulus to expect the affable Hufflepuff when he arrives. Just as they ought to expect the whimsical Ravenclaw.

The spookily intuitive whimsical Ravenclaw.

"So, you and Romie are back together?"

Regulus glances to the pearly haired witch he'd practically kidnapped from the clutches of her boyfriend as she kindly hands the passing first year girl the latest Quibbler editorial to be released at the next high tide. He isn't surprised, Pandora possesses a knack for sensing the atmosphere, gauging the mood. It's why she scores the highest marks in Divination. A peculiar thing to also be curious about the element of science, but each to their own. No one said interests had to be compatible.

His tongue pushes the mint from one side to the other, a distraction technique to keep him from breaking out into a smile. That recent development is okay, good behind closed doors, but he dreads to think how his reputation will be damaged if the whole school finds out he's finally been cracked. The role of Head Boy is unavailing if the hint of fear is gone.

"We're on our way, I suppose you could say" He says slowly, thinking back to their sweet start to the day full of soft kisses, heartfelt confessions and hopeful promises.

They're not there yet, the road ahead long and windy. Tricky conversations and understanding perspective sharing make up over half the sharp bends, but they're on their way, taking a step in the right direction. The direction that leads to the mutually desired destination.

Pandora hums serenely, opining, "I think it's good"

"You do?" Regulus asks, warmth blooming in his chest when she simply nods. No delay, no extra details that bring in complications. Just good.

Pandora's the first friend Regulus made on his own accord, the friendships formed with Evan and Barty based on family links and Ministry connections. Business. They were deals of business, pressurised by parents,  which happened to turn out well. His story with Pandora was written out differently, stemming from what there's a shortage of in his life. Choice.

Regulus chose to confide in Pandora, chose to appreciate her wrongly judged eccentric ways and to know she thinks his next choice is good feels surreal. Like a dream.

He reaches out before he can stop himself, looping his arm through her own. If anyone were to ask questions, it'd be played off that it was to ensure she didn't go wandering off, listening to whispers living inside the walls everyone was too ignorant, too busy rushing through life to hear. They both knew it was more than that. They both knew it was too wholesome to be spoken on. Actions speak louder than words.