ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 69

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕻latform Nine and Three Quarters was not how she remembered it.

Last September First, the liveliness of the place had been almost overwhelming, high spirits and excitement all-around. Whole families assembled for the legendary send-off the minute the clock ticks eleven.

What little families present this September First gather with spacious gaps in between. Missing pieces for missing loved ones. Parent's wishes of staying safe and keeping well out of trouble has a new meaning, a serious meaning. Hugs were longer, tighter, tears were bigger, heavier. Safety wasn't promised, on either end. Survival wasn't promised, on either end.

One of the very few remaining similarities linking the two years was the unbreakable security detail escorting Romie every step of the way.

Begrudgingly, she bites back any protests, aware this is the last time they'll see each other for a long while. The longest since knowing the four as one body, as thick as thieves. And it doesn't last long anyway, the formation beginning to crumble away bit by bit. Starting with Peter.

"I wonder if anyone's claimed our compartment yet. Maybe it's the new us"

From his leading position, James twirls around, walking backwards in a fashion so cool others giggle. But not as much as when he rakes a hand through his ebony hair, crowing through an unimpressed Romie to the blonde behind focusing hard on keeping his eyes trained upstairs.

"Don't be silly, Wormtail. There will never be a 'new us', no one could ever replace the great Marauders. But brilliant idea, let's check"

Swiftly swinging one leg around the other in a clean swerve, he changes direction and rushes towards the scarlet polished steam train waiting to be filled. Overtaking the other three, Peter scampers after him, never letting the bespectacled boy out of his sight.

Romie halts when Sirius randomly does, a frown crossing her features at the faraway look in his eyes as he adjusts the fit of the leather jacket he's currently rocking. His gaze wanders somewhere over the sea of heads she doesn't hunt down, already exchanging glances with Remus for when he mutters,

"Be back in a mo"

Their states of bewilderment only develop when, unlike presumed, Sirius doesn't advance towards the sparse crowd, instead retreating in the direction they came from once passing through the brick wall barrier hidden to muggles. All comes to light soon, when something that feels like shaggy fur brushes against the backs of Remus' weak knobby knees, disappearing as a big, black dog disappears into the herd of people.

Gruff swears Romie's heard more times than she can count leave her older brother, about to chase after him and put him on the leash he apparently needs. He would have. If it hadn't been for his own leash fastening on, restraining him from doing so.