ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕽egulus had always hated the Welcoming Feast.

He hates the tattered, brown hat that ruined his life before he'd even set foot inside the castle and the foolish song it sings about the houses on the stool. Hates the excitement bursting from the tiny first years that seems to knock all means of intelligence and common sense out of them until they're nothing but brainless morons wowing over every little thing in sight.

Most of all, he hates how boisterous and attention seeking the Gryffindor Marauders are, cheering, whooping and chortling loud enough for the other side of the world to hear,

"Should we expect their full plates to explode in their faces any minute now, Reg?" Evan questions to his left, snickering with Barty at how hard he's glowering at the table of red and gold.

An irritable grunt rumbles from the dark depths of Regulus' chest, disregarding his friends' attempts to be funny. Evan Rosier and Barty Crouch Jr were the only fellow Slytherins that Regulus could stand being in the company of. They're different from the likes of Avery, Mulciber, Snape. Clever and slick and if Regulus admitted it truthfully, certain aspects of their 'fun sides' remind him of his older brother.

Barty leans in, licking his lips after gulping down a generous scoop of mashed potatoes, addressing the elephant in the room,

"Have you seen Lupin?"

It was less of a question and more of an opening to a discussion. Because everyone had seen Romie Lupin, and plenty were still seeing Romie Lupin as it stands, passing off their drool as the food being deliciously mouth-watering.

"Don't be fooled, the same elfin bitch is still in there" Regulus mutters, grey eyes fixing on the Gryffindor girl pressing a palm to her hand, masking her laughter at whatever cheeky thing Mckinnon's said to Evans that has her glaring all flustered.

Evan and Barty exchange a glance, now understanding the incentive behind Regulus' broodiness, storming into the Slytherin segment of the train earlier. For how well Sirius Black and Remus Lupin get along, it's always been quite the opposite for their younger siblings. Maybe it's the typical House rivalry or how they're neck and neck in their academic subjects, whatever it is, they don't get along like a house on fire. They set the house on fire. Right up into uncontrollable flames of fury.

"Elfin bitch or not, she's definitely nice on the eyes. All the boys know, all the girls know, everyone knows" Evan shrugs, taking a bite out of his yorkshire pudding and gesturing around them.

Everyone did know, Regulus realises, surveying around the hall just to find many heads glued to that spot too. One in particular, a few seats down from him, Anna Pucey, a pretty blonde with dark eyes, gripping her fork like Romie had just snatched away her first born son and she was planning revenge. Regulus doesn't understand what the big deal is, it's just some girl at the end of her awkward teenage phase. It happens to everyone in their time, Romie's not special.