ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕽omie wraps her coat around herself tighter, looking up to where the boys are playing.

Regulus had been hesitant to join at first, firmly against intruding too much. But when Sirius held out one of the spare brooms like it was second nature, he left Romie's side in a heartbeat. Back and forth in equal turns they tossed the quaffle, baiting and goading and racing each other up and down the infinite green acres that encompass the manor until they're out of breath and slick with sweat.

It was a nice watch, especially the few exchanges of small smiles between the two distant brothers, as though they were young again and there was no bad blood ripping them apart. Romie knew how much, deep down, this meant to Regulus, how much he needed the refresh of what it's like to be one of Sirius' choices again, someone he willingly spends time with. And she knew how secretly thrilled Sirius was to have him here, where it's good and it's safe, even if it's for reasons he's not particularly fond of.

A speckle of metallic gold dances in front of her face, beckoning her toasty warm hands out of her pockets to the frosty air. She resists the temptation. Because her hands aren't the only ones being beckoned, it seems, when the dark figure soaring across the hoary clouds suddenly dips, increasing in size the nearer they get to Romie.

For reasons unknown to herself, she doesn't leap backwards, afraid of being slammed into at the full speed, quite trusting that's not going to happen today. It's the right call, because the only thing that comes in total touching range of Romie are the ring clad, skilful fingers that enclose around the mischievous Snitch fluttering against the button of her nose. Her eyes cross over to catch the moment, relaxing back natural when what sounds like a muffled chuckle blesses her ears.

"Do I get to keep this one too?" She asks cheekily, peering up at him through a squint.

Regulus changes position slightly, moving a smidgen to the right, blocking the light of the sky from attacking her eyes any further. He twirls the Snitch between his fingers, replying simply,

"No"

Romie pouts, indignant from this serious outrageousness. He caught the sodding thing, therefore it should be hers, no questions asked. A friend for the lonely one on her dresser back at Hogwarts.

"Why not?"

Something warm blooms inside of Regulus' chest, realising how much she genuinely liked him handing it over in the last match success. Even if it was mainly for show. Hunching himself a fraction over to be that little bit nearer, he looks her dead in the eye and answers,

"Because if I gave you this one, that would make the one's I truly win mean less"

There it was again. That real, genuine and true smile of hers popping by to say hello. She forces her lower lip back down before it can come into full swing, startled by the rising number of times she's had to such a thing recently. And because of Regulus Black, the pompous bastard that went against her wishes, charming her inspiring skirt. The number of people than can prompt a real smile out of her is a number she can count on her hands. It's not an easy task and yet he seems to be passing with flying colours.