ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕽egulus stares down at the pages on inferi, but he can't seem to focus.

Because not two rows in front, head face down on the cool desk, cushioned between two arms working as a shielding wall preventing any peeping creeps, was Romie Lupin. She was unusually quiet and still, to the point it was rather unsettling. If it hadn't been for the occasional shift, shaking away the fallen hairs relentlessly tickling her face, Regulus would've thought she'd taken three stunning spells to the chest.

Hestia doesn't seem too concerned, her and fellow Hufflepuff, Amelia Bones passing back and forth flirty notes that have both of their cheeks a bright pink. Regulus' last encounter with Sirius comes to mind, remembering how heedful, how guarded he had been when discussing the mysterious dynamic between the Lupin siblings, virtually informing there was more than what meets the eye.

Things in their past. There are things in their past, private things, secret things, dark things that make them who they are today. An enigma. Regulus would be lying if he said he wasn't terribly curious, itching to slip between the cracks and crevices of the steel wall that hides the truth. His interest was unstoppably snowballing with every tick of the clock and it was proving harder to ignore.

"You're staring"

Stirring from his daze, Regulus turns to the owner of the airy voice floating into his ears, blankly staring back at the misty blue eyes that flicker up to him almost knowingly. Pandora's lips twitch, hand clasping around the jagged amethyst crystal on the desk as she continues,

"You're staring and she knows. Just thought you might want to know"

Of course she knows, one of the dozen hissing, cunning snakes that make up her head of hair probably informed her, eager to watch him turn to stone. He resists an eye roll, instead asking in hushed voice,

"What's wrong with her? And I wasn't staring, I was thinking"

"Something tells me you already know the answer to that question. And you were staring" Pandora replies, breaking out into a smile when she hears one of her favourite sounds. His lovely gruff grumbles.

Despite how much he willed himself to forget and focus on the reanimated corpses of dead humans, Regulus found his gaze wandering once again to the rows in front. To the Gryffindor girl whose abnormal behaviour has captured more than just his attention, Regulus realises with a start.

"What's the matter, Lupin? Has the shame of having a hideous face finally kicked in?"

Romie rolls her eyes, resisting the overpowering temptation to accidentally swing out her leg and accidentally knock Anna Pucey off her feet. Opposed to hurting her own sensitive ears with the inevitable noise of awfully girlish shrieks, she opts for something else instead. Lazily, without lifting her head, she unfolds her arms, elbows standing up on the desk, making the rude hand gestures she'd learnt from Remus at a very early age. Luck wasn't on her side today, for laughter just as awful as the shrieks would have been ring in her ears.