Chapter 23

*Jesse's POV*

It's been three weeks. Three weeks since Rhylee's been abducted. The police went down the street, door to door asking people if they saw what happened that night. One couple said that they were heading to bed and they looked out the window one last time, and they saw a girl walking down the street. When they described her, it sounded like it was Rhylee, but they didn't see what happened.

They also looked around the the sidewalk down the street too. All they found was her cell phone in one of the bushes.

Everyone's really worried. There's been police at school everyday questioning people and there's signs posted everywhere about it.

I'm trying to stay positive, but the detective told us to expect anything since its been three weeks. I hate that there's nothing I can do to help. I just want to find her and hold her in my arms and never let go.

I haven't realized this until now, but Rhylee's been the only girl that I've really loved. I'm not saying I've been with a lot of girls, but I really love Rhylee and I don't want to lose her. The last conversation we had was an argument, it can't end like that.

After school, I skipped practice and went to the park. I needed some time alone to think about everything. I sat down on the bench in front of the pond and looked out onto the water.

I remember one time I was at this park playing basketball with some friends on the basketball court and I looked over at the pond and I saw Rhylee with some of her friends playing around.

*flashback*

"Dude, who's that?" I ask Lukas pointing to a girl that was by the pond.

"Rhylee Lynch, Trevor Lynch's little sister." He tells me

I look at her for a minute.

"Is she in our grade?"

"Yeah. I had a class with her last year. Why do you care so much all of a sudden? You're with Ali, remember?"

Rhylee and her friends were hitting a volleyball around, trying to keep it from going in the pond.

I go back to playing basketball with the guys and try not to look at Rhylee.

I was in-bounding the ball, when a girl yells.

"Heads up!" She yells.

I get hit in the back of the head with a ball. I throw the basketball to someone on my team, then turn around.

Rhylee was running towards me and her volleyball was on the ground in front of me.

I pick up the ball and hand it to her when she gets to me.

"I'm so sorry about that." She says. "Sometimes I forget how much power I can put behind my serve."

"You hit that from all the way over there, and it still managed to hit me?" I ask her.

"I guess so."

"Wow. You must be a really good player then." I say as I hand her back the volleyball.

She looks behind me and watches the guys play basketball.

"You should see me play basketball; I've been playing that my whole life."

"Maybe one day I will."

"Sorry again for hitting you with the ball."

"It's cool. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last."

She laughs at my comment.

"One of the most said sentences by an athlete. I'm Rhylee by the way." She says smiling.

"I'm-" I begin.

"Jesse. I know; it's kinda hard being in the same grade as you and not know who you are."

"Rhylee, come on!" One of her friends, that I will later find out is Caitlyn, calls her back over.

"I gotta go. Sorry again."

"It's okay. Hopefully I'll see you around." I say before she turns around and runs back to her friends.

*flashback over*

That's when I knew I liked her. She was so nice about everything and she wasn't afraid to talk to me, even though we've never talked before and I didn't know who she was.

I wish I would've gotten her number or something around that time. I would've broken up with Ali a long time ago and been with Rhy.

I hate that the last conversation we had was us arguing. If I wouldn't have gotten mad, she wouldn't have left, and she would still be here with me right now.

Everyone keeps telling me that it's not my fault; but I can't help but think that part of it is.

"You mind if I sit with you?"

I look up to see Ali standing next to the bench.

"Sure." I say.

"Any news about Rhylee?" She asks me.

I shake my head no.

"I'm so sorry, I really am."

"I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, but do you know anything about it?"

"Jesse, I know I've been doing some things to try to get you back, but I've given up on that. You two are really happy together and I should've realized that a while ago. And trust me, I wouldn't want to hurt Rhylee, or her family by having her go missing, I'm not that mean or heartless."

"So you're finally giving up on me." I say trying to change the subject a little.

"I'm trying to move on just like you did. But I have to admit, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be."

"Once you find someone you love, you'll have no problem moving on."

"You really love Rhylee, don't you?"

"More than anything." I say before taking a deep breath. I don't want to talk about her too much 'cause I really miss her and I don't want to break down in front of Ali.

"They'll find her. I promise." Ali tells me.

"You can't promise that; it's been three weeks." I say. "Anything could've happened to her by now; they could've taken her to Europe, or kept her locked up in a room, or abused her, or even killed her by now." By the time I was finished with all the 'what ifs', I was crying.

"You have to think positive. They're going to find her, and she's going to be okay." She says comforting me.

"Thanks for sitting here with me, I really needed someone to talk to."

"We might not be together anymore, but I'll always be here for you."

I look down at her lips, then back to her eyes, and slowly lean in. She leans in also.

Our lips are centimeters apart, we're both hesitant, then I close the gap and kiss her.