BC124: Turn (Heroes)--3

Raven thought the nurse would let her off with some light prescription, but she insisted on doing more tests than Raven thought were necessary.

While she was waiting for the results in the waiting area--they needed the medical rooms for other people--she saw Yang coming out of the hallway.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I should ask you the same thing," Yang said.

"I seem to have caught something," Raven said. "I'm waiting for them to come tell me what pills to take so I can get back to work."

"You probably should just rest," Yang said. "I came here because I was feeling a little weird too."

"Weird? How?" Raven raised an eyebrow.

"Not like really bad," Yang said. "Just tired and sore. But for me, that's kind of unusual, and then I was off schedule for...well, you know." She shrugged. "I figured I might know the reason already, but I wanted to get it confirmed."

"I see," Raven said. "They make home tests for that, you know."

"Yeah, but we get free healthcare through the base, so why not use it?" Yang said.

"It's not free. It's paid by the city's taxes for the military protection," Raven said.

"Whatever, they still pay for it," Yang said. "So yeah... Wow, this is weird, you're the first person I've told. I was literally just going to call Neptune." She grinned.

"So it's official," Raven said. It wasn't a question. "Congratulations."

"Yeah, well, it was still out of left field" Yang said, looking a bit nervous. "Wasn't really expecting it... I mean, I guess it's possible, but...then again I've been thinking about it with all the others having their kids... Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I wanted to join the party."

Raven wasn't buying her nonchalance.

"I take it you're worried," she said flatly.

"Just not as prepared as I would have wanted to be..." Yang shrugged. "But we'll handle it. Like everyone else. It's still a happy thing..." She seemed to realize who she was talking to right then and stopped. [Awkward.]

"It is," Raven managed to rally herself enough to say. "I'm sure you've been thinking about it enough to at least have some kind of plan... At least you have friends already going through this."

Yang knew this was masking the awkward. "Well, how do you feel about it? Not ready to be a grandma yet, right?"

"I'm way too young for that," Raven said. "I don't want to ever be called that."

"Better pick a name you will like then," Yang said. "I should tell Dad too... Oh gosh, and Ruby...maybe I'll hold off till the party. That could be my big surprise... And I gotta go."

"Yes...don't forget to tell Winter that you'll have to be put on safer missions now," Raven said as she walked out.

"Oh, right, I guess I'll have to do that too," Yang said. "Thanks... Uh, good luck with the...medicine stuff I guess."

She left.

Raven shook her head. Some subjects were always going to be weird to talk about with them, but by now she'd learned to mostly shake that off.

"Miss Branwen?" The nurse came back. "Your results are in."

Raven followed her into the more private area again.

"So? What do I have?" she asked.

"It's too soon to tell," the nurse said, handing her her chart.

"Too soon to tell?" Raven repeated. "What were the tests for then?" She glanced at the chart, and her eyes lit on one particular part of it.