BC111: Daylight (Heroes & Co.)-2

[Opener: "Daylight"--Shinedown]

Cinder opened her eyes to see darkness.

She had a blurry memory of what happened after the rock hit her. She'd hit the side of the pit and tumbled down it at a steep incline that would have broken her bones if she was not a Remnant trained fighter.

As it was, she was sore all over. The adrenaline rush of before was gone now, and she was just tired.

She thought she'd hit the bottom of the pit finally, and then Royal had pushed her out of the way. No one else would have done it so quickly. Then the dust and shaking had rattled her so that she was too dazed to get up for a while.

But now that she'd finally calmed, she realized she was alone.

She sat up and hit her head on the crag over it.

She was under some kind of tiny ledge in the bottom of this pit. That was why the rocks hadn't crushed her.

Thankfully, the biggest chunk of stone had mostly hit the outside of the pit, though some had fallen over it and sort of criss-crossed each other and sealed it off, but it meant that the boulders here were mostly the medium-sized ones...which were all still bigger than a human being but easier to avoid.

The light was dim, but it had to be sunlight coming from through the rocks, where the dirt and stone weren't blocking it out.

This far down it was patchy, but she could see the outline of things.

Crawling out of the ledge hole more, she coughed. The dust had mostly settled, but it was in her mouth and throat.

They just had to go out with a bang! Couldn't just have made it into the portal--no, they had to do things the hard way!

Where was Royal?

"Royal!" she called, hoarsely. She cleared her throat and tried again. "Royal!"

She stumbled to her feet.

No way he'd have been crushed, right? He could dodge anything...

With Aura...but hers had to be gone now, and they'd both taken a lot of hits.

She moved around the rocks, that had nearly blocked her into the ledge, and some of the looser dirt.

She saw a Grimm suddenly.

It was a small one, with wings.

Cinder stared at it, thinking it had been sniffing around...

"Get away!" She held up her hand.

She didn't have any Aura, but...

The Grimm sniffed at her and then growled and moved away anyway.

It ran along the wall.

Cinder followed it, thinking it would go to any life form in the area.

But instead she found only what was left of some of the bandits that had fallen before them.

Then she understood--the Grimm had come to pick off their own. The bandits were dead already, but the Grimm still knew them, apparently.

How disgusting.

Turning, she walked back the other way and this time went around.

Her eyes were getting used to the light, and finally she saw the white of the Atlas uniform.

Royal, to her immense relief, was not buried under half a ton of rocks. He must have successfully dodged most of them, but one had caught him finally and pinned him down by his chest.