BC5: A Grimm Assignment --2

[I just realized these bonus chapters have kind of shaped up to being like my version of the RWBY manga light novels. I guess I'm still following the show's model--but better right?]

The huge lion would have pounced onto Piper if he hadn't sprung out of the way.

Raven jumped and kicked off a tree trunk then brought her sword down on its neck.

Her sword broke into red dust shards, to her great chagrin and astonishment, and the lion turned towards her, snapping its humongous jaws.

"Hey, look over here!" Yang shot at it.

It turned toward her, but the bullets didn't seem to do a thing to it.

"Let me guess," Neptune said. "We found another one of Salem's old special friends."

"Looks like it," Yang backed up, planting her feet.

"Merc!" Emerald yelped as they ran to get out of its range.

Mercury tried to focus.

"Get down, you d--- kids," Claw said, lifting her weapon, which looked like a bazooka crossed with a pike.

[If you think that sounds stupid, just picture Professor Port's two bladed axe musket.]

Mercury both lost focus and had to duck as she blasted at it.

Yet again it did nothing, except that the lion grew spikes out of its hide.

"Okay, that's not working!" Piper said.

"Oh, I get it," Emerald had ducked behind a tree. "Look, the hide, it's like some protective shell. Weird... a lion grimm usually wouldn't be that armored."

"Okay, so we need heavier artillery?" Mercury said.

"Isn't that why we were here, because we didn't have that?" Emerald asked.

"I dunno, do I look like the stats guy to you?" Mercury dodged as the lion charged at him, then it spun around and used its massive claws to knock Sergeant Claw's pike out of her hand as she was going to ram it into its side.

Claw went sprawling across the dirt and into one of the trees.

"Err!" Raven pulled out a fresh sword. "Always something with these grimm. Hey, Nemean!"

The lion looked at her.

"You know who I am right?" Raven held out the sword and her aura glowed. "Back off. I command you by the authority given to me."

The Nemean eyed her with what sure looked like pure hatred for an emotionless grimm.

Then it snarled in a way that sent chills up their spines and dashed through the trees.

"Wow..." Yang looked at her. "That was impressive... and a little too easy."

"Oh yeah," Raven narrowed her eyes. "With the big ones it always takes more than one try. Even more than one person."

"So it ran off because it's going after someone else," Neptune reasoned.

"Huh?" Piper looked at them weirdly.

"We scare grimm, moron," Yang threw her human hand up. "Duh. By now we've learned things about them. They don't just quit like that unless they have more targets. Keep up already."

"I thought that was just a tall tale, you actually scare them?" Claw picked up her weapon.

"Yes," Raven's tone was clipped. "And where there's one that big, there's more right behind it."