BC27: Royal Problem

[Opener is "Tornado" by Owl City]

[Hey, if Kip and the DJs can have a chapter, why not other non canon characters? I'm sure some of you are dying to know more about him anyway. At least I hope.]

Teach was flying the ship, while Calico was on his scroll.

"We had no choice but to take them, Annie--Annie, listen, I know, blast you, but they saw too much. Don't worry, the little 'motivators' will have finished them off by now.... How could they survive that?... I'll bloody check if you want me to!"

He swore some more. "Women!"

"She might be right," Teach said. "I've heard stories about that Pine person. And Zapato survived the Grimm attack in that town we heard about. Should have just killed them ourselves."

"This way our weapons won't be implicated, I told you," Calico snapped. "Both you and Annie, you're such worriers."

He walked toward the back.

Cinder, hearing this, formed a glass bow in her hands, with an arrow.

Oscar shot her a look. 

"What are you doing?" he mouthed.

Cinder pressed her lips together thinly in a look Oscar didn't like.

Oscar put a hand on her arm. "Don't," he said in the faintest whisper he could manage.

"Why does it matter?" Cinder's hand was shaking, despite her expression.

She actually didn't know if she'd go through with it. She hadn't before when she had the chance in the dock.

But things seemed more hopeless now.

"It matters because you can't do this," Oscar said. "Even with two witnesses, you know you shouldn't risk it."

"I've been exposed already. It's all over." Cinder's old nature would have been to take these guys down with her if she was going down anyway, and Oscar knew it.

"No, it's not too late. I don't think you've been exposed." Oscar hurried because the guy was getting closer. "Just let it go. Don't throw away all that work for this guy."

"Yeah, he's not worth it," Royal added, though he was mostly just trying to think of something he could use as a weapon.

"Just some thief," Oscar said.

"They have Grimm on their ship. Are they even really normal?" Cinder said tightly.

"Cinder...really?" Oscar didn't have to say more than that.

Cinder bit her lip so hard it was surprising she didn't make it bleed.

Then she lowered the bow slowly, and it turned into shards of glass.

Somehow, the act of giving up the idea made her feel shaky, like she'd been on the edge of a precipice and not looked down till then.

Oscar was relieved.

"Hey, if he's coming back this way, I have an idea." Royal spoke as if that hadn't happened at all. "Follow me."

He moved back toward the back wall.

The other two had no wish to go towards the claws, but it wasn't like going toward the crazy pirates was much better, so they followed him.

Royal backed up to the wall just in front of them.

"We're out of sight here," he said. "And luckily they can't hear us too well. Teach will have that headset in. We can take the other guy out, and he won't know a thing, then it's just him. Should be easy."