LXXXVII - What We Sought

Perhaps it's a new beginning I should look into more.

***

"Hold on, are you really gonna do it?" Eren's concern melting throughout his words. Historia only looked up at him with a smile. A nervous one, but a smile nonetheless. 

"Y-You said yourself that I should." She stammered out, but she had no intentions of back away. Not when we've already made it this far across the palace. Mikasa walked beside me, effectively suppressing her amusement as Historia and Eren went back and forth on their arguments. 

"It was the Reeves company boss's final request, or, should I say final joke?" Eren said as a question, blinking in slight confusion before flitting his eyes back to the short blonde girl, the entire squad turning a corner. 

"I'm not fit to be queen unless I do it." She states firmly, Jean, Connie and Sasha all snickering as we all lingered behind her. 

"That's the spirit, Historia!" Jean exclaimed, his tone taking on that of mischief, almost like he wished for her downfall when she carries out what she wanted to do. We laugh, the hallways glowing from sunlight and shining with polished metals, a shadow cast upon the red carpet as we neared a silhouette standing beside the window. 

His hands were in his pockets, his head turning to look at us as he stepped into the centre of the hallway. At the sight of the raven haired captain, Historia started trembling, letting out quiet noises like she was really debating on doing it. She soon let out a yell, raising her fists and ran towards Levi, whose bored expression rested on her, turning to the side a little as she punched him in the arm. The hall fell dead quiet before the squad all exclaimed in shock. I only smiled in response, fixing my gaze on Historia as she stepped back toward us in victory and refusing to look at Levi. She let out a laugh, an attempt to not let any of the tears that waited in her eyes fall. 

"Ha! Now what?! I'm your queen! What do you got to say n-" The blonde began shouting gleefully before she was interrupted by Levi snickering. I looked up at him, finally looking at him properly for the first time since we had been graced with his presence. His head was tipped forward a little before he raised it, a soft, rare, beautiful smile spread across his features as his eyes took in each and every one of us. My smile fell a little at the sight, more out of mesmerisation than anything. 

"Thank you," His voice sounded, eyes flicking from one soldier to the next before finally resting on me. There was a type of hesitation behind his eyes as he laid them on me, a hint of hurt or desperation, perhaps? 

"All of you."

***

The journey back to Headquarters is quiet. 

Hushed conversations had been initiated throughout the squad, quiet giggles and silent scolds echoing through my mind as I rode alone at the back of the line. I snuck glances ahead at Levi every now and then, secretly hoping I could pinpoint where his mind was at, though to no avail, it's hard to tell someones thought process just by looking at the back of their head. After Historia had punched him and he thanked everyone back at the palace, he didn't spare me a second glance, and I will admit it hurt. 

I watched him walk away, tucking his hands further into his pockets and lowering his head as he walked briskly passed me, not even wanting to risk looking at me again. I pursed my lips before the squad moved ahead, getting themselves ready for our departure from the Capital. 

And here we were now, five and a half hours of riding later and approximately thirty minutes away from Headquarters. The trip had been unbearably slow for the last nearly six hours, the kids not starting a conversation with me at all, apart from the occasional 'are you okay' they turned to ask. Whether or not the silence I had surrounded myself with was good or not was a question I didn't have an answer for. It gave me time to think about how to approach the topic with Levi, but it also meant I had no one or nothing to help keep my mind off it.