IV - A Rogue Like He

The only walls I would prefer to remain in.

***

Sam and I discreetly slipped back into our rooms unnoticed during the early hours of morning. We had gotten lost in conversation, completely oblivious to the time that was flying by like nothing. The cave was enveloped in nearly pure darkness as the moons light slipped from sight.

Settling in my bed, I recall the chat that Sam and I had.

"How is your brother?" He asked. I grinned a little as I glanced down at the ground.

"Last time I heard from him, he's doing well. He and his wife are currently living in Trost. And I'm going to be an aunty." I look up at Sam. His eyes widened at the news of my sister-in-laws pregnancy.

"Wow, congratulations." He chuckled.

"Thanks." I laugh with him, averting my gaze to the cherry blossom.

"How often do you come here?" He asked, his face with an unwavering happy expression.

"I try to come here as often as I can but I have been lacking lately." I lay back on the stone, wriggling around a little to find a comfortable position. "I was going to come here alone until I snapped at you earlier. I figured I'd bring you here as an apology."1 admit.

"Apology? Sunshine, you didn't need to apologize for anything, I get that my protectiveness gets tiring very quickly so I understand why you reacted the way you did." He says, carefully choosing his words.

"Regardless of the situation, I shouldn't have been so harsh. I know you're just concerned and I appreciate that." I frown slightly, memories from this morning flooding into my mind. I push them away, continuing to focus on the conversation initiated between Sam and I.

"I know and I'm sorry. I've just known you guys for so long it's some type of attachment to you all that makes me feel the urge to throw myself in front of you when danger is near." He chuckles dryly. I look up at him. "I'll try lay off, okay?"

"Okay, just make sure to look after yourself too." I reply.

Sam was still feeling guilty about his behavior due to my trip. He was incredibly thankful that I showed him my spot though, so the guilt I felt for him quickly faded away as the frown on his face did.

I should probably go to sleep otherwise I won't wake up.

Turning over in my bed, I was met with the walls of my room. Observing the peeling wallpaper that was slowly seperating itself from the wall. I sighed deeply, closing my eyes and ignoring the low moons light beaming through my window.

***

The Special Ops, Captain Tera and I readied our horses for our journey to Stohess, where we would enter the Underground. As we did so, Erwin paced through the yard reciting the plan for each of us in case someone forgot. My eyes were strained, I barely had the energy to drag myself out of bed this morning, my feet refused to lift fully as I shuffled through the castle corridors.

My eyelids were heavy, but not so heavy to the point where I couldn't lift them again. Give me enough time and I'll be fine. I sensed everyone around me shifting immensely. I gaze around myself, seeing everyone mounting their horses.

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly. Propping my foot up onto the stirrup, I heave myself onto the mammal. He whinnied softly in response, his ear twitching as he slowly moved hos head to the left to admire the view in front of us. I reach down and scratch his neck lightly before glancing at Erwin, who was glancing at all of us.