LXXXIII - Accusations Of Insanity

tw: blood, abuse

Once everyone was ready, we walked within the shadows.

***

~That Night~

The moon glowed blissfully in the cloudless winter night.

A full moon blessing the lands with it's ghastly touch, spreading effortlessly over the large building that stood tall in the middle of a grassy field. The squad all waited in the shadows, even more effective because of the tall grass, as we all awaited Levi's return from his brief boundary search of what we were told was the interior brigade compound. A wagon we had brought with us was tucked away behind some trees, our horses deeper in the forest, likely chewing peacefully on some untouched nature. 

"I'm sure of it." He voiced as he emerged from the grass. "That's the interior brigade compound, I can't believe we're already here. It's thanks to those two, and thanks to you, Jean. Let's go, this time, we strike first." And then we were off, creeping under the cover of shadowed blades of grass, inching closer to the compound with every soft step we took. Few of the windows within the building were reflecting candlelight, a sign there were likely occupants within. Scaling along the fence that surrounded the structure was oddly easy, no guards posted outside would typically mean they had faith they wouldn't get raided overnight.

"Jean, Sasha. Take the roof with the long range weapons, sort out the soldiers in the compound courtyard. Armin, I'll have you go back to the wagon and keep an eye on things back there. Mikasa and Connie, take top floor, I will take the middle floor. Y/N, you've got the bottom floor." Levi orders making my eyebrows shoot up in surprise. He was getting me to clear a floor alone? I wanted to protest but bit my tongue, choosing to stay silent. He didn't want me to kill anyone, yet puts me somewhere where I alone have to kill however many people.

"Don't kill them. Restrict their mobility so they can't follow us, stab their leg, dislocate their knees, hell, cut their foot off for all I care. Just don't kill them. We meet back here in ten." He adds. I suppose that makes me feel a little better about the situation at hand, knowing I won't have to kill anyone anytime soon. "Go." The ravens voice mutters through the shadows, everyone creeping out from the grass and allowing themselves to be showered by the light of the moon.

I move forward, gripping a hilt and placing a finger on the anchor trigger, readying myself for departure. I feel a hand on my wrist, my eyes watching Sasha and Jean flying up to the roof quickly before turning and facing the raven as he came out from the grass, immediately bathed in the moonlight. In this light, he looked ethereal. I drew in a deep breath, my gaze going from his face to his hand that held my wrist, then back up again. I had always described his eyes with the word 'glowing', but in this light, they literally glowed.

What was shown as callous in the shadows now only showed itself as empyreal.

"Don't get hurt." He murmured, gaze levelling with mine as I quickly avert my look.

"No promises." I breathe, feeling his grip drop from my arm, taking it as a sign to pull the trigger of my hilt and watch the anchor pierce through the thick stone of the building.

I flew over the fence with ease, detaching the hook early and allowing myself to fall freely to the ground, landing with a soft thud. Standing up straight, I pace around the building, pulling the hood of my cloak up and over my head, dimming out the visibility of my features. Disappearing around a corner, away from the sight of whoever remained in the grass, I spot four large windows, the grass outside of those windows glowing with the same hue the candles let off.

Incoherent conversation was being held in the room closest to me, my back pressed up against the cool stone. I moved along it, sneaking closer to the glass and listening as the words being exchanged became more clear. I noticed a small gap in the window, just enough to let a reasonable amount of air come and go as it pleases through it, the two men inside not bothering too much with hushing their discussion about wanting to steal some of the wine that settled in the compound cellar, which had me thinking, why would they steal their own wine in their own lair?