V - Hands For Chains

"I'll join the Survey Corps."

***

My mind wandered elsewhere on the ride back to Headquarters. Riding closely behind the Commander as he lead us all through Stohess and back into Wall Rose.

I could feel eyes burning in the back of my head as we continued our journey home, so I turn my head slightly to gaze behind me. The redhead, the blonde were looking around the vast lands, in awe with the sunlight and nature.

Levi glaring at each of us as they rode horses in the centre of a group of scouts, making sure they couldn't escape.

I make eye contact with the blonde, his eyes filled with an unwavering concern yet glistening hope. My gaze softens at the sight, he and the redhead looked like lost puppies whereas Levi refused to soak in the change of scenery.

His glare remained on Erwin and I. His eyes meet mine, my once softened eyes turning cold as he narrowed his eyes at me. I turn my head forward once again, allowing the man to simmer in his own hatred. I look to the left, endless plains of green and the odd tree here and there.

The cool breeze flowing effortlessly through the air, the soft beating of horse hooves on the ground below. The even breaths of the horses that carried us home. And the drowsiness that the lack of rest from the previous night and the fight had finally caught up to me.

I yawn audibly, straightening up my back and rolling my shoulders back. Tilting my head, I hear the multiple cracks rumble from my neck and I let out a satisfied sigh before gazing lazily at the reins that were held in my hand.

"Are you okay, Y/N?" Erwin asked quietly as he glanced at me from in front of me. I drag my eyes up to meet his before weakly smiling and nodding. He pursed his lips, smiling slightly before facing forward again.

I admire the landscape once more, the breeze rivaling for our skin with the scorching sun above. Before I finally tuned out my thoughts and looked around with a blank expression on my face, all the way home.

***

Dismounting our horses, I turn to head for the stables with my horses reins in hand before Erwin stops me.

"Grab the rogues horses too, I need to speak with them privately." He says. I turn my head to look at the three steadily getting off their horses. Furrowing my eyebrows slightly before nodding and walking over to the the blonde, who stood slightly further away from the other two.

I approached him quietly, eventually catching his attention. His expression slightly turned sour as he watched me close the distance between us, horses reins in hand. Levi was helping the redhead down from her horse so they hadn't acknowledged my presence yet.

Wordlessly, I extend a hand to the blonde, awaiting his horses reins to be placed in it. He looked down at my hand, perplexed, before meeting my eyes again and reluctantly placing his hand in mine for a handshake. I stifle a giggle, quickly coughing before it came out.

"Your reins." I say quietly, flicking my eyes to the ropes being held in his other hand. I look back at his face, slowly turning red as he realized what he did.

"Oh, right." He chuckled nervously as he scratched the back of his head and handed me the reins. I gave him a small smile with a nod before gently pulling the horses with me to where the raven and the redhead were.

Her smile was large as she thanked the raven for helping her down, punching him lightly in the shoulder. She saw me coming, her smile quickly faltering as she faced me with a scowl. Ignoring her hostility, I hold out a hand for the reins once again.