IX - Don't Fear My Touch

"But I want you to teach me your way of fighting."

***

My eyes widened in response. The words that had just escaped his mouth, they were a joke. Right?

"W-what?" I manage to stammer out, my voice croaking at first before I cleared my throat. His eyes lifted to meet mine.

"I don't like to repeat myself." He replied coldly.

"No, no. I don't understand, your fighting skills are great, why would you want mine?" I ask in surprise.

"You beat me in a fight. I want you to teach me. Simple as that." He headed up the stairs and strode passed me.

"Hey, wait up." I stumble after him after a few moments of processing what he said. "I only beat you because I found a hole in your offense." I say. His silver eyes met mine once again.

"Oh? And what would that be?" He questioned as though his postures were flawless a mere five minutes ago.

"Your grip. It loosened a fraction and I took the chance." I admit. His eyebrows furrowed slightly realization. He opened the door and allowed me through before stepping in as well. "Thanks." I mumble before heading straight to the mess hall.

"Oi." Levi's voice sounded from behind me. I stop in my tracks and turn to face him, watching him as he slowly approached me. "Regardless. Teach me. I'm not asking again." He strode by, leaving me in my position and not daring to look me in the eye. I pursed my lips, my brain malfunctioning at the events that had just happened, his footsteps receding as he walked further and further away.

"What?" I whispered to myself perplexed. I turn my head and catch Levi walk around a corner and disappearing from view. "He's so confusing." I murmur before following his lead and walking to the hall. The conversations that erupted from each table in the hall became more evident the closer I got.

Usually I would've obtained some type of positive emotion from the warmth that had been radiating from the place, but it was more confusion than anything. Placing my hand on the doorframe as I walk around the corner, I stood in the doorway and stared at the floor.

A former Underground resident, someone likely to have more experience with hand to hand combat than me as an individual wants me to teach him my techniques. I let out an exhale through my slightly parted lips as I stared at the ground.

"Sunshine!" Reece shouted from across the hall. The laughter and chatter ceased to die down at Reece's loud acknowledgement. My eyes suit up to meet his, sitting at our usual table with our four new additions. Putting on a smile neither genuine or fake, I approach the table. The second person I made eye contact with was Levi, whose back was to me as he glanced at me over his shoulder. My smile faltered a little as I remember my thoughts moments ago. I sat down next to Hange and zoned out, allowing my thoughts to consume me.

"Hey! Are you okay?" Hange said, cocking her head to the side slightly and raising an eyebrow. I blink multiple times before I look up to meet her gaze and putting on a false smile.

"Yeah, just thinking." I say before returning my gaze to the table. She giggled.

"About what?" She looked at me with a curious eyebrow raised in which I copy the gesture.

"Nothing in particular." I sneak a subtle glance in Levi's direction, whom seems to be in peace as he sips his tea. "Just thinking about the upcoming expedition." I mumble.

"Well think more about about this then." Zion says as he places a plate in front of me. I look down and am met with decent looking mashed potatoes with a small ration of meat. "We need our Sunshine after all." I roll my eyes and let a small smile play on my lips.