XXIX - Expect The Unexpected

Levi's on his way to Trost right the fuck now. You better hope this letter makes it to you before he does.

Hange.

***

It was just after dusk.

I collapse on a chair in the Trost Headquarters mess hall. Groaning, I hunch over and run my hand through my hair in frustration.

It's been a month since Maria fell. I've been receiving letters of all sorts, mainly from the scouts and a couple from my parents. I've been receiving all these letters, yet I just haven't found the time to reply with even one single sentence.

I'm exhausted, trying to take care of thousands of citizens that had found refuge in Trost after losing their homes in Shiganshina and nearby villages.

Fellow Garrison soldiers; ones that weren't in my brothers squad had taken a turn personality wise. They went from nice people to complete shitheads verbally abusing even infants.

I've had Mikasa, Armin and Eren come to me in even the worst circumstances because a few Garrison soldiers refused to help them in even the simplest of tasks. Everytime I even picked up a pen someone would burst through the door with another duty I had to carry out to make people happy.

Unfortunately, the results weren't always what we intended. And that's what made being in this regiment all the more difficult than it already was prior.

Pyxis was busy sorting matters with the government and at times Erwin, speaking of what I assumed was my transfer back to the Scouting Legion. But all I received from Erwin was a small nod before he disappeared for a week. The door to the mess hall burst open so rudely interrupting with my train of thought.

Jay stood there, piece of paper in hand. I sigh, realizing it was nearly identical to the ones I had gotten from the scouts over the passed month.

"It's for you." He said, standing still in his place.

"I figured. There's no one else here." I reply getting up and walking to him. Before I had reached him, a hand appeared from around the corner of the doorway and snatched the letter from his hand. Both Jay and I snapped our gazes to the mystery hand, a certain raven walking into full view reading the contents of the letter and leaning against the doorway, ankles crossed as he let out a scoff.

"Looks like I got here before this letter did." Levi deadpanned waving the paper around in front of my face.

"Levi? What are you doing here?" I ask, knowing full well what the answer was. I got his letter. In fact, I got all of their letters. I had them stored in a book in my room I shared with Rico.

"I know you got my letters. I know you got all of our letters." He scoffed shoving the letter into my chest. I look down at the paper, hurriedly scrawled across it was:

Levi's on his way to Trost right the fuck now. You better hope this letter makes it to you before he does.

Hange.

"Her writing is atrocious. But what's even more disgusting is your lack of communication. Want to tell me what the fuck is going on? We all thought you died, Y/N!" Levi seethed, Jay standing awkwardly to the side as he mindlessly twiddled his fingers.