XXXI - Fist Of White

Phase one of getting back into the scouts, check.

***

"The basics of titan anatomy is how to kill them or at least immobilize them." I begin the lesson, walking into the classroom and looking over the students who sat in front of me. "As most of you know, the only way known to kill a titan is to complete remove its nape using the flesh-piercing blades provided for you."

As I spoke, the students eyes were glued on me, and I knew I had everyone's attention.

"As some of you may know, my name is Y/N L/N of the Garrison regiment, a former soldier of the Scouting Legion and now one of your temporary teachers in academics and physical health. I see a few familiar faces in here. Eren, Armin and Mikasa, I see you in the back there. Jean? I'm sure I met you last year when you fell over." As I made him relive his memories, he groaned and the room erupted in subtle giggles.

"Some of you other people may know me from the Scouts, some may say as the quiet one, others, the strong one. But as of now, I'm merely just your teacher. Before we get started on todays lesson, do any of you have any questions?" Everyone looked around the room, seeking anyone who did have questions to ask. But no one did, so with a smile I turn to the blackboard and pick up a chalk.

"If you have questions during the class, feel free to ask. Otherwise I'm free for five minutes after this lesson." I glide the chalk across the blackboard, solely focused on the hasty titan diagram I had pictured in my head. "Firstly, who knows the measurements for the nape that needs to be removed from a titan?" I ask after doing my rough drawing of the titan. Armin's arm immediately shot up.

"One meter high, ten centimeters across." He answers confidently.

"Correct." I turn back to the board, circling the neck of the diagram. "Two swords is a necessity to kill a titan, using them both to simultaneously cut deep enough into the nape is enough to destroy the titan altogether. The other weak point is their heels. Achilles heel, to be specific, which is right over-" I circle just behind the ankle. "-here. Cutting these parts don't kill the titan, but it is enough to immobilize it enough to get a better shot at the nape and a better chance at living.

Because the titan can't move after removing it's heel, it doesn't necessarily mean you're in the clear. They still have full control over their arms and can reach around to grab you. Keep in mind, titans also have regeneration so they can grow back their limbs before you even nick their neck." I point to the eyes.

"The eyes are always a good thing to aim for, that's if you can get close enough without losing a limb or two. But it really varies, especially abnormals. Some rely on sight, others hearing. That's where good observational and analytical skills come into play, and why using them is a crucial part that will nearly guarantee your survival. Reflexes, communication and ODM combat are the three key points to coming back to the walls with your life still in you."

"Y/N?" Armin asked raising his hand. "How did we know to remove the nape in the first place?"

"That is an excellent question." I smile. "But unfortunately, that's not a question I can answer because I myself do not know. It's actually a mystery how we supposedly just found out how to defeat a titan." I state. "Well to me it is at least."

"Y/N, why do titans eat people?" A girl with brown hair in a high ponytail asked.

"Also an excellent question. I have a friend in the Survey Corps who researches titan anatomy, I do recall her saying that eating people isn't actually a necessity for survival. In fact, they don't have digestive systems or even reproductive systems so why they eat people and how they multiply is still one of the biggest mysteries in the walls." I notice multiple faces distort into grimaces at the mention of reproductive systems and I let out an amused huff.