Chapter 15 Photoshoot

KAYLOR

I am getting exhausted from the upcoming photoshoot. Even though I'm one of the models—the main model per se—I was busy helping Rosa with the clothes and bags. After all, this was pre-colonial Philippines-inspired modern clothes. So it's up to us to condense the ethnics and tribal groups into just five which we carefully picked out of the others.

When the day ended, I laid myself on my bed. I didn't know how much time had passed, but then I found myself lying on the bed without changing into my pajamas. I sat up wide awake in the middle of the dark. I started changing my clothes until I heard her calling once more. I see we're making progress already, from weeks to a matter of days.

Her voice carried spring and summer music in it. I couldn't help feeling embarrassed for liking the tone. A strong sensual feeling rushed into my system. My body felt anesthetized and weighty as I was struggling to keep my legs moving.

I tucked my hands in my jeans' pockets and hurried towards the forest. I counted my steps towards the beach where I knew that most people don't visit during the day or night. I recognized every leaf, every tree branch, and most certainly I could still trace my steps in the dark. I had gone through this narrow path, streaming between the flourishing bushes, for five times that now, that I had it memorized in my head, steadily dragging my feet along.

I sauntered, yet determined to the secret spot, trying to imprint her calling voice in my brain, to memorize every single melody and preserve the cheerful tune of Calliana in my ears.

I've never been so nervous about what she thinks of me. But she did mention that I was her favorite. She is, too, my favorite.

There she is.

I want to tell her that, although I'm quite bashful about it. I always knew that I can see myself dating or falling in love with the same gender, or someone with no gender at all, or someone who has undergone a sex change. For me, society after the independence from the Spaniards, the Americans, and the Japanese were not as good and as tolerant and prosperous as the civilizations before the colonization of the Europeans around the world.

"Are you going to ask me to go swim with you now?" I asked, boldly in which Calliana's only reply was a mischievous smirk. "I've been wondering," I said, kicking a pebble. "About why you saved me," I turned to look at her and saw that any emotions were gone from her face. Why does she always avoid this question? "I'm serious," I tried again. "Why did you save me?"

"You got me." She leaped from the water.

I was surprised when she lunged at me and pulled me to the ground. Calliana tracked her fingernails down my cheek. The hair on my arms stood on ends. "You're right; we weren't supposed to show ourselves to any humans or save ones from drowning. Typically, those are the Dolphins' work, but I just can't help but save your life."

"Why?"

"Because I found out that you fell from your boat."

I didn't know why it felt kind of hurt to hear that, and why I even bothered to feel it now. But it was like I was nothing but a human to her. "So, if I didn't fell, you wouldn't have rescued me?"