Chapter 13 Letter

MORGANA

"Just follow your heart?" I threw the newspaper away. "What kind of generic advice is that? I can get better ones from fortune cookies."

I sat on my bed, my forehead creasing into a frown after I spend the day doing our activity and buying the local paper. 

"Thanks for being no help real-name's-not-Cathy," I grumbled. I really didn't know what to do. This is completely new to me.

I was about to go to take a nap when my phone rang. "Yes?" I answered the phone with no enthusiasm.

"Hey, Morg it's me." Gavin's voice came through the phone.

"Oh, what do you want?"

"Tsk... such rude treatment."

"Seriously, I'm in no mood right now. What do you want Gav?" I repeated.

"Is Kaylor with you?" Gavin asked. This immediately alerted me.

"What? No! Why would she be here? In my room?! Ha! No way. Impossible! I—"

"Are you guys close?" Gavin cut me off.

"Close? What do you mean? Close as in how close? We are just in the same club! She's not my friend. Why are you asking all these?"

Did Gavin find out about my feelings for Kaylor already? He's probably wondering why I was acting strangely.

"Take a chill pill will you? Remember last time you asked me to get information on her?"

"Oh yeah," I felt relieved. Gavin didn't suspect anything.

"I found out that her thesis was about Merfolks."

"What? What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

He took a deep breath. "What I mean is—she's pretty well known because she's the only student whose thesis was accepted for being purely hypothetical on fictional creatures."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, and you owe me a big one for this, cousin. It wasn't easy for me to get into each school's number and ask for their student's archive."

What's going on? Is Kaylor alright in the head? Well, she did mention that she experienced two tragedies by the sea already.

"Thanks, Gav," I said quietly to the phone. "Can you get me a copy of her thesis?"

I could hear him whining. "Come on Morg, that's too much of a favor."

"She's keeping a secret, Gav. You know I love to collect secrets from people I naturally don't get along with."