Chapter 5 Rectangle

KAYLOR

I looked at Empress during and after dinner while half focusing on Mr. Ainsley's lecture tentatively at the table like a father of five children. She seemed to be in a bad mood since she came back from the festival. Something was bothering her and I wondered what it was.

"So... how was your day?" I asked.

We were both in my room because I invited her for a sleepover to try and lift her spirits. We've had been in awkward silence for quite some time now. I was desperate to burst the silence bubble.

"It went fine." She replied shortly.

I looked at the girl lying on the other side of my bed. Empress was flipping some magazine and did not look in my direction at all. I couldn't take this treatment anymore. I walked to the bed and kneeled in front of her.

"It was me! I admit it! I was the one who spilled the lemon juice on the couch. I was the one who left the candy wrappers on the floor. I was also the one who destroyed the stapler in the living room. I'm sorry. I won't do it again. So please don't be mad. I couldn't bear it if you are mad at me." I exclaimed in an exaggerated dramatic pose.

Empress looked at my antics and chuckled loudly. "Stand up, you loony! I wasn't even mad at you." She pulled me crouching up to the bed. We smiled at each other.

"Then why are you in such a bad mood?" I asked the younger girl.

"No, I'm not," Empress replied not meeting my eyes.

"Yes you are," I raised my eyebrows

"No am not!"

"You are!"

"Okay, fine!" Empress stopped our petty argument. "I was a little mad. But not because of you being such a slob." She said and I faked being offended.

"Then what did I do?"

"Nothing! Eh, just forget it. I was being immature. Let's just go to sleep." Empress was about to hide under the sheet but I stopped her.

"Come on, it was obviously enough to bother you."

"Why did you choose Morgana?" Empress blurted out suddenly. She was blushing now. No wonder she thought that I must think she was being immature and childish.

"What do you mean?" I asked, touching the base of my neck.

"It's just that you didn't ask me for help. I thought we are friends. You know I'll be willing to help you with it. So why didn't you ask me?"

"I didn't ask for your help because I don't want to trouble you. Besides, I am awful in it, even Morgana wanted to chuck me with her camera." I said. I did found Empress's reasoning to be a little childish, but it was kind of endearing.