Chapter 51- Aches

"Two beatings in one day. What am I going to do with you?" Liam chuckles as he cleans the small cuts on my arms and stomach with a cloth damp with alcohol. It burned but I didn't complain. "Put a bullet in my head and end it." I say flatly and he frowns at me. "Not happening." he says and I lean back against the chair and flinch. "Ouch." I mutter and sit back forward. "Yeah, you're gonna be sore tomorrow." he says with a faint laugh and I look at his perfect smile. "No kidding." I say and he makes a pouty face. "Quit being so grumpy. I'll get you some pain killers for your head ache." he says and hands me the cloth before leaving. "You could put a shirt on." I call after him and he winks at me. "Or not." he answers and disappears out the doorway.

I rub my temples but all I heard was my own heart beat pounding in my own head. I let out a groan under my breath and noticed a mirror. I stared at myself for a long moment. My hair was frizzy and dirty. My blond hair...

He returns with two pills in his hand and a drops them in my palm before getting me a glass of water. I thanks him and swallow them. I watched him maneuver around the room and noticed a subtle change to his face. He looked more tired and worn out than usual. He approached me again and bent down to pick me up. I pushed my hair away from my face and looked at him. "Why are you always trying to carry me?" I ask trying to joke and he looks down at me and smiles while walking over to a nearby couch and sitting. "Because I enjoy it." He says and I close my eyes and rest my forehead to the side of his chest, pressing my palm flat to his ribs. He smelled like faded cologne and rain, but I just felt like sleeping. I let out a groan while keeping my mouth closed and he laughs under his breath. "I can always take you back to the dorms and leave you alone?" He teases and I groan again. "Not unless you put a dang shirt on." I say and he chuckles. "You're adorable when you're tired, you know that?" He tells me and I hug him tighter and let out another groan, being rewarding with another laugh. The vibrations off his chest calmed my head ache.

After a moment of silence I wander back into my own twisted thoughts. "Would they come after you if they caught me?" I ask and feel him shift underneath me with a small sigh. "Why?" he asks and I inhale to put my words together. "Because I don't want to be the reason for you getting hurt." I mumble and he shifts his arm holding my lower back. "You shouldn't worry about that." he says softly and I lift my head to look at him. He raises his hand to push my hair behind my ear. "We both know I'm ... 'different'. They're willing to start a war over me, Liam." I say and his eyes begin to grow colder. "I'll do anything to keep you safe." he says and blinks away the look in his eyes. "It's much more then just a job to me now. I," he pauses and glances away. "I have no other reason to be on this earth than you." he says and I sink down in his arm and sigh.

"You can live without me. You've done it the past 300 years." I remind him and he shakes his head as he stares out in front of him. "I think you should know a little of my history first." he says and swallows. "It never made sense until I met you." he mumbles and I look at him peculiarly. "What do you mean?" I ask and he laughs under his breath and shakes his head. "I'll explain when the moment is right." he says and looks back at me. "You need some rest." he says and presses his lips to my forehead. "Let's get you back to the dorm." he mumbles while setting me on the couch as he gets up to retrieve his shirt. I watch him put it on before pushing myself to the end of the cushion to get up. "Do you want to walk or me carry you?" he grins and I smile before holding out my arms for him.

"I figured." he says to himself as he bends down to lift me up again.

***

I had dreamed about a little boy with black hair that hung in his eyes, which were the same thick honey color as Liam's. He didn't notice me. He wore very old style clothing, but so did the woman who stepped behind him and laid her hands on his shoulders. She wore a light blue dress that hugged her body and had her blond hair pulled back high on her head. "Phillip!" she calls. Her accent gave it all away. That... was Liam's mother. Meaning the little boy was, Liam. He seemed so happy and smiley. He had to be probably 8 or 9 years old. "Are you coming?" she calls and a male responds. "Yes, dear." he steps out and adjusts his collar. His hair was longer, reaching his ears if it weren't brushed back. I couldn't believe it.