Chapter 46- Thoughts

I walk in the door next to Liam. I was every bit of ounce of nerves. Today is the testing day of the simulation. Phase two. The very Sims that have given me nightmares since my first time taking one, I must face today. Gabriel looked less than pleased to see us, as expected." Back from Prison, huh?" He remarks and Liam clears his throat. "Hello Gabriel." He utters flatly and opens the door for me, he urges me with his hand on my back. I hesitantly take my place in the bed and breathe. Gabriel claims the monitor and I close my eyes. I have to do this. I will live. I will not die. This is not real.

I feel Liam touch my hand just before I drift away.

***

I open my eyes, I was wide awake. Blood pumping, steady, heavy breaths. I was ready. I was in a dense forest. I turn around to look at where I'm located. The moss on the trees told me which way was north. I wearily push through the branches and duck when a random bird swoops down over my head, it was a false alarm. After what feels like 10 minutes of staggered steps over weeds and jagged branches, I reach a random statue. It was like the one from my first sim but this time, she was covered in vines. Her eyelids were half closed and looking down, her face was soft, which meant her life was a tragedy. She wore an old robe that hung on her shoulders. I always was told that a statue looking down meant death.

Then something crunches on a twig behind me and I spin around. It was Liam, but he looked different. "The only way to face death, is death itself." he says through his accent. I furrow my eyebrows at him in confusion. His eyes grow more tempting as he processed something. His whole appearance seemed off. I studied him for a long minute in silence before my heart pounded through my chest. "This is a simulation. But you must die." he speaks my mind with an arrogant tone. I didn't want to die. Further more, I don't want Liam to be my reason of death.

Think...Think... It's just a sim. It's not reality.

"I'm not gonna die." I refuse. Something inside was fighting me. Something believed Liam was right, but if this is a sim, he isn't Liam. He could be lying.It was a contradiction in itself. Sweat dripped down my neck, and I did what I do best... run. I could be faster than him, if this was a sim. My legs were short, which made speed easy, his legs were long, giving him more ground cover. But I can be faster than him. Than I make a quick decision and jump off a ledge. It was a 20 foot drop but the landing was only a little rough. I'm not human...

I splash through some water and stop once I see a black mass coming my way. It was like the sim with Luke. Except no one is dying now. I sprint to the left. the top of my thighs burned as I pressed my legs faster but I wasn't covering as much ground as I was before. Something drags me to the ground and I roll on my back. Liam had me pinned and was taking multiple strikes with the knife in his hand. I dodged most of them. He never misses a target, which told me that this is a real sim. I slam my fist into his nose and he slaps me with his knife in hand. It sliced my cheek. I broke into tears when I punched him again and tried to scury away.

He had caught my leg and diced the knife in my side. "I'm just trying to help you!" he shouts through his teeth as I groan. I knew I had to get away from him despite the crippling agony. I tried to run but couldn't. The pain made me too light headed. Fake Liam pushed me back down and I was about to give in until another man pulled Liam off me and pulled the trigger of a gun. It was another Liam. I blinked away my blurry eyes and tried to process this but I just pant short breaths through my teeth and let my head lay back in the grass underneath me while I bleed out. Then I turn my head to look at them again and the one Liam, that stabbed me fades into a demon with an evil grin. I hadn't realized I shut my eyes until something props me up and cups my cheeks. "Max, I'm so sorry." he whispers and I now knew he was the real Liam. I clench my wound and shake my head. "I don't want to die, Liam." I say and he shakes his head. "You won't, I promise." he smiles weakly and looks over his shoulder before picking me up.