Chapter 41_Competition_

The snowstorm has long been lost due to the wind created by the dragon but by traveling far enough you'll still encounter some of it.

On the edge of the ice continent, the cold winds continue to cut through its flat surface, brushing away any exposed stone that may linger above the snow.

Sliding down the occasional snowy dunes, the wind swirls around the deadly but beautiful white desert.

Suddenly an intense force stops the wind's dance before blowing it the other way.

The immense heat melts the ice floor creating a thin layer of steam before expanding it around the air by heating the oxygen in it.

The steam abruptly stops as it travels in waves that the driven-away wind left behind.

Its direction of movement rapidly changes before someone jumps out of it into the open air.

The figure glides along the floor as the steam softly moves out of the way.

His entire body trembling, every muscle seemingly beginning to relax. His eyes are getting blurry and his senses dull. But before his mind can relax, his senses, driven solely by instinct and skill, scream "now" at him.

As his mind struggles to make a thought.

His body shoots back as he moves his blade diagonally to block something from above.

Suddenly a black shadow hits the sword creating a spark as large cracks form along the blade.

Shortly after the initial strike, a black shadow strikes him in the stomach, pushing him away and causing the sword to slide away.

The man lays there on the ground, struggling to get his breathing and magicule circulation back in order.

He tries his best but all he can do is hold his head above the ice floor.

"It's futile..." A black-clothed man notes as he lowers his leg from a kicking position.

"I've always respected your indomitable spirit and that raging fire you have for strength." The man continued as he lowered himself down in a crouching position.

Now eye to eye, the man laying on the floor once again starts shaking, not knowing whether it's from exhaustion or fear.

"Even if you are still fighting, you see it, don't you...

The outcome of this 'war'. Well... If you can call it that~" The man lightly humors the moment as the earth shakes and explosions light the sky. 

(how is this even possible...) The man, his head held aloft by his neck muscles, curses as he is forced to look at the floor.

"We are both well aware that Master won the fight far before it even happened~"

(I always trained to be the best in the Village... The best in the group... The best in the city...) His muscles shook as he forced himself to raise his head.

"So understanding that amazing mind and talent... How could you not agree to the offer of coming to our side..."

(I knew he was better... Leaving me to take second place... However...) The pressure releases, causing him to stumble, but he keeps going.

"What do you say..."

(How could I have ever imagined...) As he glanced back at the individual in front of him. It dawned on him how truly impossible it was.

(How far above me the number one was.) To be the best was..

"Sir Benimaru?"

Only the wind and snow dare to move as silence descends.