24

Illiyeen

"Is everyone ready?" Umair asked, walking out of the house. We all were gathered around the cars.

"G beta, we are ready, but you must tell us where you are taking us," Baba asked.

"Are Baba, it's a surprise. Please sit in the car, " Umair said, and we all settled in. Amina and Mahnoor joined us as we drove away. After thirty minutes of driving into the wilderness, Umair finally took a turn and parked the car. My eyes tried to capture anything, but it was all land.

"Mahnoor and Amina, do you mind giving me and your bhabhi a moment," Umair asked, and a blush crept up my cheeks. The girls teased us and got down. Umair took his seatbelt off and leaned in.

"Thank you for finally giving me the courage to do whatever I want." He pressed his lips to mine and gently kissed them. Then he pulled back and took my hands in his. "Thank you for coming into my life, Mehrem." He pecked my hands, making me kiss his forehead. We both closed our eyes, feeling each other.

"We should go," I muttered, and he nodded. We got down, and everyone was eager for whatever the announcement Umair had to make.

"Umair, please tell us, everyone is here now," Chachi expressed. Ahmed Jiju, Mawaa, Meena Phopo, and Rehana also joined us.

Umair moved closer to his dad and gave him the envelope he had been holding for too long.

"Dad, remember when Uncle Qamar passed away, and I promised you I would become a doctor. But that day, I vowed something to myself. I will never let anyone feel helpless the way I felt. So, I bought this land two months ago when Illiyeen's grandmother passed away. Illiyeen will be responsible for the construction." Umair stated, making us even more confused, except for Ahmed Jiju and Rani.

"Uncle, what he is trying to say is that he plans to open his hospital," Rani said, making all of us shocked.

"Umair, is this true?" Meena Phopo said with tears in her eyes. He nodded and hugged her. Everyone congratulated Umair. He moved closer to me and kissed my forehead before the whole family.

"Thank you, Begum." I wanted to run and hide, but somewhere, I knew I should not. I hugged him so hard. Everyone laughed or probably started teasing me, but that was for later. Right now, I want to enjoy the moment with my husband.

***

We all returned to the house after bidding farewell to Chacho's family.

"Illiyeen, come here." Dad called me, and I sat in front of him. Umair stood with Mom and helped her with an email. When we were all ears, Dad spoke again.

"Beta, I think you should visit your family. They miss you as well." I nodded and looked at Umair, who gave me a slight nod.

"Umair, get the tickets for this week," Mama added, and he agreed, "G Ma, I will."

Umair took out his phone and left the room. After a while, he returned and sat beside me, saying, "Ma, Illiyeen's flight is scheduled for Sunday at noon." I tilted my head towards him and inquired, "And what about you?"

"I won't be going. I have critical surgeries lined up, and I'm also starting at the hospital," Umair protested, but this time, Dad chimed in. "Umair, Beta, clear your schedule. You should accompany Illiyeen as well."

"Baba, I swear by Allah, I am too busy. You can ask Ahmed or Rani," Umair replied. I shook my head in disagreement.

"Fine. I'll wait for you, then. But I'm not leaving without you," I declared and left the room.

The truth was, I couldn't bear the thought of being apart from Umair any longer. His presence was becoming a lifeline for me. The mere thought of leaving him behind was creating havoc inside me. Two months of closeness was not enough. It will never be enough.