02

UMAIR

It was a bright, sunny day.

I worked my way around, meeting patients and checking each one's reports. My intern, Dr. Hassan, briefed me on each patient.

I approached a man in his mid-60s. He is my best friend, Rehana's patient; he has given her a tough time. Trust me, I hate when patients don't care about their doctors. Like we are also human beings, treat us with respect.

"When is the surgery?" The patient asked. "Well, you have to fast. If you don't follow it, I'm sorry, we can not do anything." I replied cold-heartedly. One thing I have learned in my years of learning is never to let a patient get away with misbehaving with a doctor.

"Sorry, Doctor Sab. Please schedule the surgery as soon as possible. This time, I will make sure he is fasting." The woman, sitting next to the patient, pleaded. "Well, the consequences won't be good," I said and nodded at Rehana. She nodded back, and I left the room.

Rehana followed me outside.

"Thank you, yaar. I can't with these patients." She thanked me, and I gave an assuring smile. I have known Rehana ever since my days at Columbia University. Luck by chance, we have stuck together.

"Well, Rani, you have helped me multiple times. This is nothing." I replied. Suddenly, my intern, Hassan, ran towards me.

"Doctor, the patient in room 305 is making a fuss again." He said pantingly.

"What the hell?" I exclaimed and dashed from there.

***

I entered the room in full glory, and suddenly, the zoo turned quiet.

I picked up the tray from the floor and placed it on the table. "What is going on?" I asked furiously. The patient tried to speak, but I showed him my hand.

One of the interns understood my queue, and she started speaking. "Doctor, he has been throwing tantrums, screaming, and throwing things at us." She was scared, and I remembered my intern days.

"Alright, you all can leave, and please send Dr. Hassan here," I said and turned to look at the person lying on the bed.

After a few minutes of utter silence, I spoke again. "What's the problem?" With arms behind my back, I looked superior, precisely what I was going for.

"This hospital is bullshit. Why are there interns taking care of me? I paid enough for a doctor." The patient yelled.

"Please be mindful, sir. The individuals in question are also doctors. They are acting on my orders; if you disrespect them, you disrespect me. So it's best to maintain a respectful relationship to avoid negative consequences." I again spoke and gave him a deadly stare.

The patient tried apologizing, but I stopped him midway, saying, "I don't need it, but those young doctors do."

I turned towards the door to leave but remembered my professor saying, 'Always finish it with a bang.'

So, I turned around and said, "This is my last warning; you can go to another hospital if you have an issue. I'll make sure your money is refunded."

This time, I walked out of the room with a bang.

***

My younger siblings were coming today from LA. Later, my father decided to go to meet Illiyeen's family today. I heard she is also getting discharged from the hospital today. So much was happening today that I had to leave the hospital for my sanity.

Though I often wanted to introduce myself and meet Illiyeen, she has been in the same Hospital for over a month, something held me back. Ever since my father and uncle talked about my marriage, all my memories of Mawaa talking about her best friend rushed into my brain.