13

Author's POV

A few days have passed with Illiyeen hanging out with Neha, showing her around.

Lahore is a beautiful city. But Neha wanted to experience the rural area. Since Neha and Illiyeen were childhood friends, she always wanted to visit where Illiyeen was born and stayed for five years.

It was Half past midnight. Illiyeen spent the whole day meeting people and showing Neha their ancestral lands. Finally, after a long and tiring day, Illiyeen was pacing on her traditional home's rooftop. Even though they have known each other for over a month now, they haven't exchanged the basics of a relationship: Phone number. Illiyeen's thoughts continued to her conversation with Umair on their Mehndi night.

***// FLASHBACK //***

Illiyeen blew on her hand to dry the henna as Umair sat beside her.

"I wanted to ask you something," Umair said, and Illiyeen gave him her full attention. She nodded at him.

"Why are we doing this?" He asked, and Illiyeen counter-questioned him, "What? He elaborated on his question. "This Shaadi, hum kyun kar rahe hain?"

"I know my reasons." She replied and continued drying her henna. Umair could not help but ask, "Woh kya hai? "

Illiyeen inhaled, "My family likes you and thinks highly of you. If I were to get married one day, why not you? Mein is shaadi se kush hoon. Are you?"

"Pata Nahi." Umair shrugged his shoulders.

"Tou pata karein. Tomorrow is our Nikkah. If you are having second thoughts, let me know." She knew she sounded rude, but this was no time to joke. They were getting married, and if one was still confused, both had to reach a consensus. Plus, she wanted to give Umair all the right to back out now.

"I am confused. I don't know if I am up for this new chapter." Umair inhaled and confessed. But Illiyeen's answer shocked him even more.

"You don't have to be ready. I don't think I am ready. Phir mein soch ti hoon, I'd never be prepared for a relationship if I were to continue my thoughts. Why not Now? Why not with a person, mera pura khandan approves? Why not you, Umair?"

Illiyeen's loose strands of hair fell on her cheeks. She tried to move them with her upper arm, but no luck. Then, finally, Umair raised his arm to help her. "May I?" Umair said with a shaky voice. Illiyeen nodded and thanked him.

Umair tucked her hair back, "What if I make a mistake?"

"We will correct it together."

"What if I am not your Knight in shining armor?"

"Then, I'll be your dame."

"What if I can not meet your expectations?"

"I'll lower them."

"Soch lo?" Umair thinned his eyebrows.

"Meine tou soch liya. Aap apna dekh lein. Umair, we have different perspectives on a husband-wife relationship. We don't have to follow our parents or others; we can set our trajectory."

Umair smiled, "Alright then."

Illiyeen also smiled, "Alright."

***// Flashback ends //***

Finally, a voice brought Illiyeen back to reality.

"Api," Rohan said with two cups in his hand.

Illiyeen turned around, and Rohan passed her a cup and his phone. "Yeh lo." Illiyeen thinned her brows in confusion after reading the name, "Why are you giving it to me?"