06

Illiyeen.

Wednesday came too fast. We all waited outside my Mamo's home for my grandma to come. Our excitement soon fell as Grandma stepped out of the car with her caretaker helping her. She looked weak. We all greeted her and helped her inside the house. I was scared to walk to her when I saw my mother and uncle crying. Nano called us, the kids, near her. We settled ourselves around her.

I was not sure what had happened. Maybe I stayed in a coma for too long. " I told Muzna and Saahil not to tell you anything." Nano jaan said, and I started crying. "It's all my fault. Mere wajah se howa ha." I sniffed and cried more.

"But, what happened? She was okay when I came from New York." I questioned, to which my mother replied. "Heart stroke. Considering her age, we should be lucky she survived." I looked at everyone.

"So that's why we wanted you to get married fast." My aunty said, and I kept looking down.

"Illiyeen, beta. But we did not want your decision to be influenced by anyone. We wanted to hear your POV before making any decision. I was glad you agreed to this alliance without knowing Ami Ji's health."

"Yeh sab choro. Tell me, how's Umair? " Nano jaan grinned, and Ami replied, "Bohot acha bacha hai." But Nano jaan got pissed and smacked her lips, "Meine tum se nahi pucha. I am asking my Mano. Illiyeen, you tell me, how is Umair?"

She asked me. What should I tell her?

In the week, we met twice and talked once. I barely knew things about him. But, then, if I could imagine my husband, it would be Umair.

"Nano, he seems to be a very nice man. He loves his family, and you know that's my weakness." I confessed. Umair did seem to be a perfect partner.

"Chalo phir, let's prepare for the wedding." Tahir Saheb said, and I nodded at him.

I wanted to get over this whole shenanigans as soon as possible.

"Let's call Ansaris for dinner tomorrow. Umair can also meet Ami jaan." Mamo Saahil said, and everyone agreed with him.

***

The night fell, and I went to my room. Someone knocked on my door, "Come in." Azka baji and entered. She placed a package in my bedroom. I gave her a question look. She said, "Your nano gave this. Marion sent your things." I thanked her and opened the boxes. I unwrapped my new phone and started setting it up. I needed a new sim.

The next few hours passed, checking work emails and updating everyone on my health. I checked the clock; the needle hit 3 a.m. Illiyeen, you need to get rid of your insomnia. Before the accident years ago, I would be a lazy, sleepy sloth. But unfortunately, for the past few years, sleep is not coming to me naturally.

***

My mother ran around the house, checking every corner and furniture for dirt. I sat in the lounge, eating my dominos and texting Neha, my best friend. Suddenly, my phone rang; she had called. Of course.

"You bitch," She screamed at me. She yelled at me for a while, calling me names and cursing me out. I deserved it. "Okay. I am done now. How are you?" She asked, and I laughed.

"Better. I'm sorry, Nehu. It's all my fault. I should have called you earlier." I confessed.

"Yeah, you should have. Mawaa told me everything. I'm not blaming you, but I was hurt. I have been your best friend since elementary school. It would be best if you had told me about your wedding, accident, and company. Why must I hear these from Mawaa, Marion, and Rohan? Not you?" She was correct; I was being a scary cat. So, I stayed quiet for a while. "Illiyeen, I am talking to you. Tell me, when's the wedding?"