30

Illiyeen

"Illiyeen, ready to go?" I heard his voice from the bedroom.

"Give me a few more minutes," I yelled back and continued fixing my makeup. After ten minutes, I came out to find my handsome Husband wearing a black suit. "Ohlalala." I grinned as he looked at me.

"Shut up." He rolled his eyes and packed his laptop up. "Looking Sexy, Begum Sahiba." I wore black flared pants with a grey satin top. My Stilettos worked their magic as I was two inches shorter than Umair.

"Pleasure's all mine," I winked and walked near him. He grabbed my waist and snuggled his face in my neck, making me moan. "We will be late," I said but gave in to the temptations.

He pulled back after giving me a visible mark on my neck. "Umair, I just covered the rest with a concealer." I tried to grab my purse, but he beat me to it.

"Come, I'll do it. Though I don't want you to cover them, I know you will feel shy." He said and worked his magic on concealing the mark.

"What's the meeting about?" I finally asked. Ever since Dawood called yesterday, Umair wanted to tell me something. But, he kept his words to himself. He told me to be ready to visit someone on our way back to Lahore.

He sighed and kissed my forehead, making my lashes close.

"Remember the phone call?" He said, and I finished his sentence, "In Bahawalpur?" He nodded.

"But your chacho said that was a meaningless prank." I quivered. This was my biggest nightmare. I knew something was wrong with the elections and the campaign. But I kept my doubts to myself. Now, Umair has resurfaced my insecurities.

"It was not. I was unsatisfied and could never be, knowing someone out wanted to kill my wife. So, I asked Dawood for help. He had some friends who could dig up the information, but trust me, the evidence they found. It was not a meaningless prank."

"Dawood's friends? I did not know he had those mates." I responded with a shivering voice. He nodded and continued,

"Illiyeen, Dawood said he has a name. But he wants me to be present while he showcases everything. That's why we will meet him before heading to the mansion. I need you. I can't do this alone." He whispered the last part, and I hugged him.

I slowly patted his back, "I'll always be there. You don't have to ask again. No matter what, I am here."

Oh God, please give me the strength to uphold my promises. I hoped to prolong our stay so we don't face the harsh reality. If the evidence showed the person and if he is connected to Uncle Qamar's murder. Oh Allah, give help me.

My legs felt weak when we both made our way to the car, but I had to wear my big girl pants up. I can not falter. I promised Umair to be with him, thick and thin; he needed me.

***

After what felt like a year, Umair stopped the car. There was only one house, a ruined one, and vast empty lands. I looked at the time. It was half past seven. It'll be dark soon.

Suddenly, someone opened my door. Dawood. He greeted me with a smile; something was wrong. It's not like Dawood never smiled at me; he did. But this smile was forced—a decoy.

I greeted him back with a slight chuckle and stepped down. Before I could follow Dawood inside the building, I felt a familiar yet warm hand on my arm.

"You okay?" Umair whispered before intertwining our fingers together. I nodded at him, "Let's get this person."

We walked into the house. There was only one door, which Dawood opened with a key. 'What's with all this secretive stuff?' I thought. The door opened to a fully furnished room with a kitchen, two bedrooms, a living space, and a workspace.