16

Illiyeen

It was around 5 am. I was constantly making rounds to the bathroom and throwing up. With my periods, pain was expected, but throwing up was not. Fuck Food poisoning. I knew Umair was a light sleeper, and my movements could have awakened him. So finally, afraid to wake Umair up, I went to the kitchen.

Then I felt a hand on my back. Umair swept me off my feet and sat me down on the chair. "What's going on? Are you okay, Illiyeen? Why are you not wearing any shoes?"

When I could not answer, He encircled my back, making me sleepy. Then, without a second thought, Umair carried me to the car. After that, all I could remember was Umair caressing my face, calling out my name, and shaking my body.

***

"Umair." My quivering voice could only whisper. I looked around the room- again, a hospital room- and never thought I would be back here. When I did not receive a response, I walked up to the door with my portable IV drip stand.

I hear two familiar voices near the door: Umair and his friend Waqas. I met Waqas last night. Curious about what they are saying, I move my ear close. I know eavesdropping is a bad habit...

"What's going on, Umair? I have never seen you scared. It's just food poisoning." Waqas Sir placed his hand on Umair's shoulder.

"Bat sirf upset stomach ki nahi hai. Waqas mein tumhe kya baton. Illiyeen has been in the hospital because of me."

I could not process what he said. How was my food poisoning Umair's fault?

"I got her those snacks. I should have understood Illiyeen's stomach was upset. Illiyeen was saying no to me, but I forced her." Umair was slamming his hands on the wall.

Umair continued, "When I called out to her, and she did not respond, I felt like my whole world was collapsing." Umair sniffed and wiped his tears.

"Umair, this is the power nikkah holds: love. My friend, you are in love with your wife." Waqas Sir's laugh shook Umair and me. Was Umair in love with me? Why? Either way, it was too soon to transform our attraction into love. Confused, I walked back to the bed. Maybe it was the sedatives; I slept as soon as I lay down.

****

The next time I woke up, Umair was sleeping on the sofa. Staff did not fully draw down the curtains, and the sunlight cast an orange rue on his face. I got up from the bed and moved closer to him. Frightened, I invisibly traced Umair's face structure. After hearing Umair's love confession this morning, I pouted like an idiot.

I let out a small sigh, which woke Umair up. His wide-opened eyes scared me, and I fell back. However, Umair held me, as always.

"Are you okay? When did you wake up? Are you in pain?" Umair ranted out many questions at once. Finally, I had to shut him up. So, I placed my IV-dripped attached hand on his lips.

"Shh. You talk too much."

"You scared me last night. But, Illiyeen, I am curious how you manage to worry me." Umair smacked his lips and ran his fingers through my hair.

"I am sorry, Umair." I wished I knew why I cried at that moment. Then, sniffing, I looked at Umair, who was staring at me. Umair's smile was the most precious.

He sighed and said, "Illiyeen, I do not know how and when, but you have made me worry about yourself." Then, he placed both arms on his waist, giving me enough space to hug him. So, I encircled my arms around his body, letting my emotions get the best of me.

To my amusement, Umair hugged me back as well. At that brief moment, I did not want Umair to leave. But instead, he pulled me back and wiped away my tears.