Chapter Six - Rejection

I walked with no direction in mind as I felt so conflicted. Why did Austin run. I know his hatred for me runs deep.

As I continued to roam about, I caught the scent of Roman. Heading towards the direction, my best friend was crying.

"Roman what's wrong?"I asked while turning his face to me.

"It's not you Xena, it is not you!!" Roman said hugging me tight,burying his head in my neck.

What does he mean by it's not me,I don't understand.
After a few minutes of silence with me rocking him gently.

"Don't mind me,I think it's the mating ceremony hormones. I also can't help it." Although I don't believe him, i let it slide.

So I decided to change the topic"Tell me did you find your mate!" I asked feeling excited for my best friend, I hope I get to meet her soon and I wish we will get along well.

"Back to Earth Beautiful, what are you thinking about" Roman asked with amusement.

"About your mate,so where is she?" I asked looking around for her.

"Stop looking Beautiful, I didn't find her"Roman said those words with so much nonchalance that it bothered me.
"Besides what are you doing here?, did you find your mate?"I heard the hope in Roman's voice,I do not know if he hopes I found my mate or not.
But nonetheless I smiled shyly not knowing how to admit it.

"Come on, tell me who he is"the defeat in Roman's eyes was obvious as he urged me with his eyes to tell him.i giggled at his tactics.

"Don't worry it's a surprise"I said even if deep down there is an unsettling feeling.

"Xena"Roman rarely calls me by my name, but the way he said my name just now was dripping with emotions.

"Promise to never leave me even though you've found your mate" Roman pleaded as he hugged me tight.

Roman has always been secured about his position in my heart. Why is he feeling so insecured now.

"I promise Roman, I do"I held him in my arms as he gradually calmed down.

We went back to the venue to see our guest out as almost or more than half of them found their mate.

I was told that Austin asked me to join him at the pack field.

This is the place where important announcement are made.

Austin and I meet halfway to the pack field,I tried to initiate a conversation but gave up. Anytime I open my mouth to speak, words flew out of my head .

As we made our way to the paved area of the pack field,a lot of people looked at us, already understanding what was happening.

Austin stood there as he spoke with authority.

"As it is known in the history of our pack that when an heir to an Alpha comes of age and finds his mate. He has met the requirements to take over the pack" he took a power pause In his speech.

"It is well known that I have come of age and have also met my mate"the pack erupted in howls and screams.

I turned to the familiar faces of my pack yes my pack.my friend Sarah was smiling from ear to ear, my parents and Charles looked proud of me. while Roman had a weird reaction.
I stared at the new members of our pack, already feeling Lunaish, looking  at Naomi and the shocked expression, satisfied me.

However......

"But as it is, the moon was very iniquitous to me by giving me a pathetic excuse for a mate. A wolfless one at that."the whole world seemed to have grown stiff.

Did he just say that about me

"So therefore. I,Alpha Austin Rhodes rejects you Xena Harrison as my mate.do you accept?"those deep blue eyes stared at my soul, speaking noxious words to me.

His words were met with silence,even the sound of an ant chewing it's food can be heard.

Why, why did he have to publicly embarrass me.
The pain of the rejected is way more painful than that of the rejector. my heart feels like it's convulsing.
Tears streaming down my eyes. Why me

Before words could come out of my mouth. A fist was sent flying to the direction of my mate and it was my Father's

"How dare you rejected my daughter" my father's voice booms In the quiet night.

"Ohh, stop deceiving yourself uncle, your daughter,we don't even know what that daughter of your is, she doesn't have a wolf but has the speed of a vampire and strength of a freaking demon. "Austin Sarcastic words provoked my father.

"May I remind you that, that daughter of yours killed my cousin,she killed Ivory, you all pardoned that and want me to accept a murderer as my Luna. Never"

The whole pack went silent.

"I didn't kill her"this is the God knows how many times I am saying this, I didn't kill her.

Austin scoffed at my words " Naomi Kate is pregnant with my child, so there for I accept Naomi Kate as my second mate" before any one could interject. Naomi accepted him.

And I fainted due to the immense pain of being rejected and watching him accept another.

The last thing I heard was the growl of Roman and my mother's voice yelling at me to wake up.

How could this happen to me,last week Saturday I discovered i couldn't shift, today my mate rejected me and accepted another. What more should I expect.

Why me ....why me.