Incantation

After hearing his father's voice, White's world seemed slightly better. The car bounced on the unpaved road, lulling him slowly to sleep. White's eyes were barely open, and the silence inside didn't do any good to his sleepiness, too.  

"Sleep if you want," Sean whispered to him. 

"Don't talk to my brother." Black interrupted. White sighed, closing his eyes. He would rather sleep than listen to Sean and his twin arguing. 

White wasn't sure how long he was out, but the loud, agitated talking woke him up. Opening his eyes, he realized his head rested on Sean's shoulder. Embarrassed, White moved away from him. He looked around, pretending his cheeks weren't red. Yok looked nervous, while Sean and Black paid attention to the forest outside. Gram was clutching the steering wheel tightly.

"What's going on?" White asked, glancing at his twin.

"You are awake?" Black replayed instead. White nodded. Something must have been wrong when his brother didn't register his consciousness. 

"We are not far from the side entrance. Gumpa sent the drone to search the area, and it seemed he found something following us." Sean answered instead. Black glared at him, but White pretended he didn't see it. 

"The wolves?" He asked, voice trembling.

"Probably."

"They are far behind, though. We will make it out before they catch up with us." Black assured him, but White could feel his uneasiness through their bond. The car was silent again. White was wide awake, suddenly more aware of their surrounding. The tees looked taller, and the shade they provided was darker. His imagination worked at full speed. He imagined the giant beasts jumping out from the shadows every time the vehicle passed around the group of trees. Sean squeezed his hand that White didn't know he was still holding. It was somehow a miracle Black didn't cut it off. 

"I can see the wall," Yok announced. White glanced at the side. 

"Good. We are almost there." He sighed, relieved. There will be a sharp curve soon, and then the gate. 

"Shit." Gram shouted as he stepped on the brakes. The car stopped abruptly, tossing them forward.

"What the fuck." Black snarled.

"The road is blocked," Gram announced. White peek through the front window. The tree trunk lay sprawled across the route. 

"How could it be here?" Yok whined.

"It must have fallen after the scientist's car passed. This forest isn't normal after all." White explained. 

"What now? Should we move it?" Gram asked. 

"At least two people should go." Sean decided, glancing at Black. White immediately knew what the look meant. He caught his brother's arm, stopping him. 

"Stay here with Gram and Yok. Don't go out until we tell you, understand?" Black caressed his cheek before he removed his hand. White nodded and turned to Sean. The taller male smiled at him and dared to stroke his cheek, too. 

"Stay here." He said. His hand slid out of his palm, and it suddenly felt empty. White watched the two people getting out of the car and running to the fallen tree. They tried to lift it, but it only moved for a few centimetres. White noticed a drone circling above their heads, but it didn't calm him. What if the wolves were around? 

Black and Sean made another attempt, and this time, the tree moved further. They had to put it down and rest before continuing. White's focus was interrupted by the animalistic howl echoing through the forest. His heart skipped a beat. 

"No." He whispered. Sean and Black glanced at each other and grabbed the tree trunk again. With all their strength, they dragged it to the side and hurried back.

"Hurry up, hurry up, a little more." White recited the incantation. Another howl echoed, seeing showers down his spine. The door opened, and only after Sean and Black sat back and the car moved White could breathe again. He grabbed Sean's and Black's arms, pulling them closer. They let him do whatever he wanted, knowing he needed them. Gram was driving like crazy, trying to get them away. The car takes a sharp turn, sliding lightly off the road, but continues forward. White looked behind them but couldn't see anything. The wolves were hiding in the thick bush and moving between the shadows.

"The gate!" Yok shouted, pointing at the grey steel entrance. 

"Why is it closed?!" Gram yelled.

"Don't stop. They will open it." Sean commanded, and as if on cue, the gate started to open. The car flew through the narrow space. White clung to Black and Sean, adrenalin and fear still pumping through his veins.  

"We did it," Yok shouted when Gram halted. White nodded. 

"We did it." He repeated. The door on Black's side suddenly opened, revealing his father's worried face. 

"God, boys. My boys." He whispered. The sound of his dad's voice was all he needed for the tears to appear. White crawled over his brother, leaping into Adul's arms and burying his face into his chest. Adul's arms wrapped around him, and White cuddled closer. And then cried, and so did his father. A moment later, Black joined the hug, too. They were a mess, and Sean, Gram, and Yok must have had a good time watching them. 

When White decided he had enough cuddles and his nerves were calm enough, he pulled away. 

"You two are in a big trouble." Adul glared at them. 

"How could you do this? Because of your mother and Tawi? You know I wouldn't give up no matter what!" He was scolding them, yet White didn't mind. Black tried to explain everything, and White only listened, looking around for Sean and others. The group stood a little further from them with an older guy talking. It must have been Gumpa. 

As if Sean felt White's eyes on him, he turned around. Their gazes met, and White's heart fluttered. He hoped to stay in contact with Sean even if Black didn't like it. 

Later, they waved goodbye to the group and went home. White clung to his dad and brother all the way. 

In the morning, he woke up to news about the real purpose of Dark Forest, the Hunt, and its connection to Tawi.