Gargoyle

The registry was insane. Sean rubbed the stainless steel bracelet on his wrist as they stood in the crowd at the gathering place. Gram at his right and Yok at his left. Gumpa disappeared to the small observing centre and tent booth assigned to him as the group's not actively participating leader. He could watch the Hunt and their progress thanks to drones and GPS navigation. The observers were allowed to send a note to their groups twice a day through the drone, but not everyone could afford to pay for the privilege of having an outside leader. Gumpa was saving up for it for too long, maybe even before Yok, Gram, and he showed up in his garage. The point was that he could correct their direction and lead them to the keys. 

Sean honestly didn't understand the people who joined the Hunt. Fame, money, power. It was nothing if you didn't use it well. In Sean's opinion, the whole meaning of this sick game was only to entertain the public and get more money into Tawi's pocket. 

"Dear participants, welcome to the Hunt." The giant screen showed the face of an announcer. 

"He looks like a gargoyle," Yok commented, making them chuckle.

"Many of you signed this year again." The man smiled, and someone beside them snickered, pulling Sean's attention. He glanced in that direction, spotting two short guys. Their two huge backpacks were almost the same height as them. Sean stopped the urge to laugh. 

"You probably already know the rules, but let me repeat them." 

"First. Find ten keys which open the safe at the finish line. Their location is marked on the map you got at the registry. 

Second. You can't leave the game. You have to play till the end. 

Third. The gate at the finish line will be closed when the countdown ends. No one will get out after that. 

Fourth. You are allowed to hunt wild animals and eat them if they don't eat you first.

Fifth. Phones, cameras and similar devices are not permitted. 

"Sixth. Enjoy the Hunt." The announcer grinned. The crowd cheered, yet Sean, Gram and Yok didn't join, and it looked like the guys beside them shared their excitement. Sean studied the duo. They wore similar clothes and covered their faces with a mask. Sean caught their tightly clasped hands. And fear in the eyes of the boy with the fluffy-looking hair. He shook his head. They didn't belong here, and Sean had a nasty feeling they wouldn't last long.