Chapter 36

(Author's Note: Since the characters are 14 there is not going to be a smut scene at the end. Just implied. I'm not comfortable with adding it in. If you want fics with smut I do have other fics that have and will have smut)

I'm starting to hate normality. Every time things start to become semi-normal everything goes right back to shit. It's like a roller coaster that I was forced to get on. Or a more accurate description, one that I thought would be fun until I actually got on it. 

Maybe I should revel in the fact that things are back to normal but it just makes me feel on edge. I sit here with Draco. Our fingers interlaced with each other and his head on my shoulder for once. Everything should feel fine but it feels like I'm walking on eggshells. I've been careful about where I go and who I'm seen with. 

Rita Skeeter is the main reason for the biggest part of this bullshit. At least right now. When I see her again, whether it be in her bug form or her human self, I am going to cast the killing curse at the back of her head. I won't even let her have a chance to explain. I know her excuses anyway. 

"Why are you tense?" Draco mumbles. I look at him before noticing the light skin on my hands are even lighter than before because I am clenching them so hard. 

"Sorry." I say as I release some of the tension on his hand. "Just thinking about ways that I could kill Rita Skeeter." 

Draco chuckles. "Oh? How many have you got in mind?" 

"About a million." I mutter through clenched teeth. "She's the reason this past month of bullshit started." Draco gives my hand a little squeeze before letting go and wrapping his arm around my shoulder. He pulls me closer to him, making me lay my head on his chest. A nice change of position I suppose. 

I breathe out a sigh. I don't know what for but I needed to. At least it feels nice to be like this again. Sitting together and actually acting like we are in love. After this fight, I have come to realize that we are just hanging onto each other because we don't want to let go. Just like we feared. But if he's still pretending then so will I. I will until one of us gets sick of pretending. Even though I know it's going to hurt like hell once the volcano erupts. 

"Are you excited for the Yule ball?" Draco asks quietly.

"Terribly." I mutter mockingly. In all reality I am excited for the Yule ball, I'm just not excited for what comes next. The next task is in February which is two months away. And that thought has blocked out any good thoughts in my head. 

"Oh come on. It's going to be fun." Draco gives me a look but I ignore it. "Besides I have a surprise for you after the ball." I look at him with surprise. What on earth could he be planning? Could it be something to get back at me? Has he actually "forgiven" me. Although I don't need his forgiveness.

I must show my worry on my face because he reassures me that it's something I'll like. I hope so. If it's something bad I will never forgive him. Draco smiles mischievously as if he can sense that I am overthinking it. It probably shows on my face. 

"You're so overly cautious." He laughs.

"Can you blame me?" I hit back, but it's pointless banter now. Neither of us will actually talk about things that have happened. None of it at all. At some point we need to discuss it, especially if we want to keep this relationship going. Although this relationship is derailing quickly, it's only a matter of time before we crash and burn. 

"We'll have fun." 

I try to keep that conversation in my mind throughout the week. As people get more and more restless for the Yule ball to come, I get more restless for the next task. Since Parker already knows what the task is, we've been researching ways to help her breathe underwater for an hour. Without the help of Hermione, that task feels impossible. We can't tell her because then she'll tell Harry what the egg meant and I don't think he is supposed to know right now. He isn't supposed to know until the last minute I believe.