Sort Out Things

Chapter 36:

It was the time of the day, people were busy with their schedules and the birds were sitting on the building of the hospital to which Neil was admitted.

In the room, Neil was laying on the bed holding Avni's arm who was looking at him.

Neil: Please say that again. Please once. Only one time.

Avni was looking at Neil who was looking at her with hopeful eyes.

Avni: I love you.

Neil was surprised. Avni cupped Neil's face.

Avni: I love you.

Neil was surprised. Neil got excited and he moved to hug Avni who got surprised and Neil winced.

Avni got up while saying, Neil.

Neil squeezed his eyes and he winced.

Avni: What are you doing? Have you lost your mind?

Neil nodded while his eyes were closed. Neil was in pain.

Neil: Yes, I have lost my mind.

Avni frowned. Neil opened his eyes and looked at Avni.

Neil: Yes, you said right, I have lost my mind and why not I... I have heard three magical words from your mouth. The three magical words my ears were longing to hear. The three magical words I was craving to hear. The three magical words that I lost hope that I would ever listen to...

Neil got emotional. Avni was looking at Neil emotionally. Avni cupped Neil's face who looked at her hands and then he looked at Avni.

Avni: I have hurt you a lot. Right?

Neil gulped.

Avni: Neil, I have never hated you. Never. Not even when you kicked me out of your life.

Avni showed her index finger.

Avni: But yes, I was hurt.

Neil was looking at Avni.

Avni: I was angry with you and I am still angry with you. I am still hurt. How could you ask me to go away from your life?

Neil gulped.

Avni: How could you say that you hate me? How?

Neil: Avni, I...

Avni: Neil, please... please let me say.

Neil stopped and looked at Avni.

Avni: How easily you said all those words to me and then you went from there without even looking back at me once.

Neil felt guilty.

Avni: Only I and my God know how I handled myself at that time. I was pregnant. I...

Avni stopped and turned her face. Avni's eyes got moist. Neil cried. Avni sniffed and looked at Neil.

Avni: You have no idea, Neil, how I lived all those six years. How I lived the nine months of my pregnancy. I was all alone and there was a pile of problems. Only I know, how I faced those problems.

Avni paused for a moment.

Avni: I admit that mistake was not only of yours. I also made mistakes. I should not doubt you. Instead of being silent, I should have talked to you. I should have cleared the things in the beginning. I should not have assumed things by myself but I have my own reasons to do that and you know that. We fought several times but we were used to sorting out that on the next day but that day, you... You were not ready to listen to anything and you blamed me for everything. You blamed me that I destroyed your life. You regret your decision to marry me.