Tie Off (2/4)

When they sit down to eat, usually not a moment passes before they launch on news of the day, finally having someone to share thoughts with. Except today, that is. Something is blocking Logan's thoughts and he just keeps staring at her.

His eyes fall on her Tiffany cuff. It's too big and ornate for her small wrist. He is angry at it.

"So, who's the guy?"

"Why would you assume it's from a guy?", she counters, taking a sip from her glass. "I can buy my own jewelry" she wiggles her fingers full of rings.

"You didn't buy this one though".

She tilts her head.

"How can you tell?"

"It's silver, which you don't wear. And it doesn't match your style, too flashy. So it's a man who wants to impress you with big jewelry and who doesn't consider what you actually like."

"You can tell all that by just looking at it"

"By looking at you".

She clears her throat.

"My ex husband".

He lifts his palms as if to say "there you go". Though the gesture lacks the lightness he intended.

"Impressive deduction skills".

Her praise warms something in him and he can't blame the wine. He could bask on it, or change the subject to something that wouldn't remind her other men. Struggling with himself, he drops the bomb.

"He wants you back".

"What?"

"It's Tiffany's 2023 collection. It's not from the time you were married, he got that right before he saw you, I'm guessing last weekend. It's not a ring, it would be too forward and would scare you off, but he still wants you to see it all the time on your wrist and think of him."

She rests her chin on her hand, studying him.

"Was I close?"

She blinks but doesn't answer, pushing the sushi pieces across her plate. Times like these, when the conversation is on her, he's reminded that she's still holding back pieces of herself, even if they talk every day. Maybe four months won't be enough to peel back all her layers.

"He made a proposal", she interrupts his musing.

Even if he suspected as much, something vicious licks at his insides.

"Marriage?"

"Eventually".

The stuffy air of the restaurant pushes down his lungs. His palms start to sweat and he fists the napkin.

He's always been observant of people -his father taught him to study who he's going to business with closely- but suddenly he hates that skill. Half of him wishes he hadn't asked, they're friends, but the other half digs deeper.

"You're wearing the cuff, does this mean you accepted?"

"What do you think?"

No matter how secure a man is, his wife wouldn't be having dinner with another man every night. He doesn't want to lose these evenings with her. Maybe that's a selfish reason, for a selfish man.

"If you can't answer this, you shouldn't have brought the whole thing up" she corners him. "Even if your... Sherlock thing was charming".

"Do you find me charming?"

"Forget what I said about your deduction skills", she teases but there's a tinge in her voice. "Speak your mind, please".

"In Spanish, esposa means wife. It also means" he takes her hand and circles his fingers around her wrist, "handcuff".