A Different Side of You - 7

Su Ryeon gazes at her window, gathering her thoughts. She's made the necessary arrangements for her to be away for a weekend, yet she can't seem to move.

It's past the time Logan is supposed to pick her up. Maybe she should wait a bit go out of town. Get on better terms with the twins, clear the Ju Dan Tae situation. The trip can wait. She's not going this time.

She enters her wardrobe to get dressed for a day inside. Upon seeing her outfits, she frowns. Suits for work, elegant dresses that her ex husband had picked, gowns for their working events, coats and pins to impress the other mothers in the school board. When did she get so stuck in these roles, she forgot what she even liked to wear?

Her inner self screams at her multiple disguises, aching to be free.

She pushes the racks off, the screeching music to her frustration. In the back, almost hidden, she finds her favourite pair of jeans. She hasn't worn it for years, but as the denim hugs her thighs, she's never felt more herself.

She runs outside, hoping it's not too late.

The street is empty, he's gone by now.

She swears under her breath, surprising herself.

"Looking for someone?"

She turns her head and there he is, casually leaning on his bike. Relief washes over her and she goes for a hug. It's warm and soft, despite the sporty leather jacket he's wearing.

"You waited", she says under her breath.

"I told you I would." Logan's voice doesn't hide any anger, he's just happy she came. "Are you ready now?"

At her nod, he takes her things, dons her helmet with a kiss and helps her up. The engine roars.

___

"You still haven't told me where we're going".

"My special place". He catches her eyes in the rearview mirror. "Hold on to me".

___

The city architecture gives its place to go the beauty of rural life, as they head farther away from Seoul. Escaping the city and all that it's demanding of them.

During the long ride, she muses about him. He was mysterious in the texts, telling her to bring few things and not worry about anything. She made arrangements for the kids to stay with Kang Mari. The fact that she didn't ask Yoon Hee is something she can't unpack right now.

Weekend with a younger man in a mysterious location. Life still has surprises for her.

The thought brings a smile to her face. Her surroundings match her mood. Mountains, flowers and suddenly, after a turn, the sea. Blue, beautiful, wherever the eye can reach.

After a while, Logan squeezes her exposed leg and signals they're here.

It's a picturesque village by the sea, crowned by a small hill.

"This is Gongmim." He says proudly. "My secret place. No one knows us here."

They climb the hill and encounter a small house with a garden.

From where they're standing, the view is breathtaking.

Su Ryeon is speechless and she stands on the edge of the hill, letting her eyes feast on the landscape.

She lets out a sound of wonder as the blue of the sea kisses the ocean before her. A thick brush of forest cradles the village. Living in the midst of a city, she perceives the depth and openness of the place. She breathes deeply and feels two arms hugging her from behind.