𝐓𝐄𝐍

Couple days later

Jail County Jail

In the quiet solitude of the empty library, Mia sat at the table in the center, engrossed in the book she had started just the day before. As she reached the final pages, a sense of satisfaction washed over her. Closing the book, she stood up and stretched, feeling a pleasant ache in her muscles.

With a curious glance around, Mia's eyes landed on the back of the library where Ashtray was busy rearranging books on the shelves. A wave of boredom washed over her, and she decided to join Ashtray.

Making her way towards the back, Mia saw Ashtray perched on a ladder, carefully organizing books on the top shelf.

"You need help?" Mia asked.

"No, I'm good," Ashtray responded.

"Don't say I didn't offer," Mia shrugged. "You got any books like the one I was reading?"

Ashtray's eyes scanned the shelves before responding, "There's a Stephen King collection over there, you'll find something," pointing to their left.

"Thanks," Mia said.

"The nicest thing you ever said to me," Ashtray pointed out, a touch of amusement in their tone.

"I was just being polite," Mia stated, her attention now focused on the series of books. She carefully scanned through the title. "Hey, Ash."

"Ash?" Ashtray repeated, a touch of curiosity in their voice. "You got a nickname for me?" They smiled.

"You mind?" Mia questioned, turning to face Ashtray.

"Not at all," Ashtray responded.

"Was just wondering if you've talked to your parents," Mia stated.

"No, not yet. I haven't been in contact with them," they replied. "I gotta make an appointment."

"An appointment to talk to your parents, through the phone?" Mia asked skeptically.

"Indeed" Ashtray stated.

"Those books old?" Mia asked as she saw how old and dirty they were, she grimaced when she felt dirt on her fingers after touching one.

"Yea" Ashtray responded. "New books are arriving, this afternoon" Ashtray stated.

"Alright" Mia responded. "Are you sure you don't need help?" Mia asked.

"Why do you wanna help all of sudden?" They questioned because she was surprisingly nice to them.

"I'm bored." Mia shrugged.

"There isn't much to do." Ashtray stated as they put the last book on the shelf before descending off the the little ladder. "We could have a conversation." They suggested.

"About what?" Mia asked.

"I'm trynna get to know you." Ashtray stated.

"Trynna get in my pants yeah." Mia muttered but Ashtray heard.

"Bold assumption." They chuckled.