𝐎𝐍𝐄

📍Illinois, Chicago

June 5th, 2015

The backyard was transformed into a zoo themed birthday party. Animal-themed decorations are hung from trees and fences, creating a whimsical atmosphere. From playful monkeys swinging on branches to majestic lions prowling through the grass.

Bouncy castles, designed to resemble different animal habitats, with one shaped like a towering giraffe, another like a playful elephant, and even one resembling a tropical rainforest. The castles were adorned with vibrant colors, animal prints, and inflatable palm trees.

Children's laughter fills the air as they jump and bounce. The sound of Kidz Bop 2014 fills the air, catchy pop hits like 'Happy' and 'Roar' played in the background. The tables are adorned with animal-themed tablecloths and centerpieces, and the party favors are mini safari explorer kits, complete with binoculars and animal masks. The air is filled with the aroma of delicious snacks, including popcorn, cotton candy, and animal-shaped cookies.

Nine year old Mia and now ten years Haylee, found themselves sitting alone in an unoccupied bouncy castle while everyone else was busy getting their faces painted, dancing, or bouncing in the other castle.

"Happy Birthday!" Mia exclaimed, flashing her brightest smile, her wild curly Afro hair sat perfectly on her face.

"Thank youu" Haylee replied, returning the smile and revealing her missing front teeth.

"I made this for you" Mia stated, handing Haylee a handmade bracelet with their initials, H&M, as charms. Haylee's brown eyes widened with excitement before she squealed, "It's so cute, I love it!" She couldn't resist and planted a sweet kiss on Mia's cheek.

"You're welcomed" Mia blushed, If her brown skin was fair like Haylee's, she'd turn red as a tomato.

Just then, they heard Haylee's mother's concerned voice calling out, "Hayleee!" She repeated her daughter's name with growing worry. Finally, she peeked her head into the bouncy house, her eyes scanning the surroundings, her expression turning disapproving as she noticed Mia sitting next to her daughter.

"Haylee, what are you doing in there alone with that girl?" Helen asked, her tone laced with judgment.

"We were just talking," Haylee explained, innocently.

"Come here," Helen demanded, her grip firm as she aggressively pulled Haylee out of the bouncy castle.

"What did I tell you about talking to that girl!?" Helen asked once Haylee was out.

"But why?" Haylee asked while her mom dragged into the house from backyard door. "You know what they say about her?" "She's a lesbian." Helen said replying to her own question.

"So?" Haylee asked, her voice filled with genuine curiosity. She couldn't understand why her mother wouldn't let her talk to Mia. "I like Mia," Haylee added, her words spoken with sincerity.

"You're only ten years old, you don't have any idea what you're talking about," Helen exclaimed.

"You have no idea what you're talking about!" Haylee retorted as she tried tugging away from her mother's grip.

"Go to your room and don't come out till you've calmed down." Helen ordered.

"But it's my Birthday!" Haylee reminded her mother.

"Haylee," Helen called firmly, indicating the finality of her decision.

"That's why I never told you." She cried as she ran upstairs to her room.