Chapter 18 (Edited)

Chapter 18

“Is there anyone else here?” Alexandria whispered to Gabriel. He started to untie my brother’s friend as he shook his head.

“There was no one else here except us and the dead vampire, plus I don’t hear anyone.” Alexandria’s eyebrows furrowed and she bit her lip worriedly. I glanced around but saw nothing threatening. I didn’t worry about not being able to see to well because Alexandria would tell me if there was a threat.

“We should go, now,” she ordered urgently. I helped Tristan’s friend up and steadied him. He didn’t look as if he could manage walking to Alexandria’s car. I shot Alexandria a look and Gabriel sighed. He went over to Tristan’s friend and supported his weight.

“Let’s get out of here,” he muttered clearly unhappy that he had to help a hunter. I ran towards the front door and unlocked it, waiting for everyone else to exit before I ran out of the building. I shut the door and ran to the car. Gabriel helped Tristan’s friend into the car and then took the passenger seat leaving me to go into the back seat.

I met Alexandria’s eyes in the rear view mirror and noticed they were darker than her usual colour. Her eyes flickered away; she wasn’t really paying attention to her immediate surroundings. Behind us the warehouse didn’t look any different and it just seemed that we had gotten easily spooked but then I thought of Alexandria who it seemed didn’t believe things were as they appeared and changed my mind. My life had definitely changed over the last few days and more caution than usual was better than carelessness if I wanted to stay alive.

“Where are we going?” asked Gabriel as he watched the scenery pass by quickly at the speed we were going. Alexandria shrugged as she passed a car on the street. Soon the car was left far behind.

“A hospital, the hunter looks like he is in need of treatment,” Alexandria replied. Gabriel rolled his eyes as he turned around to look at the guy beside me and seemed to reconsider his scepticism, the guy was in very bad shape as if he hadn’t been fed in days.

“Alright,” he ended up saying before turning his attention once again to what was outside of the car. The plain scenery replaced the simple unpopulated one quickly at the speed Alexandria was driving and in a matter of minutes she was pulling up in front of an emergency wing of a nearby hospital.

Gabriel and I held up the other hunter then walked into the emergency room to get him help while Alexandria left to park the car. Hospital employees reacted as soon as they saw the condition of Tristan’s friend. They brought out a wheel chair and then took him to some other part of the hospital leaving Gabriel and I to be interrogated.

“Do you know how he got to be like that?” one nurse asked holding a clipboard ready to write. As soon as Tristan’s friend was gone she had pulled us away from the lobby to a deserted hallway for privacy. I stared at her not prepared to answer anything. Gabriel rolled his eyes before covering for me smoothly.

“We don’t know who that guy is, we just found him like that so we brought him here,” he lied. The nurse nodded once as she turned her attention to Gabriel.

“Where did you find him?” the nurse replied sceptically.

“A warehouse, but I don’t quite remember where,” at that comment the nurse really looked like she thought he was lying. Gabriel chuckled softly and grabbed her wrist causing her to look into his eyes. All protests died from her lips and she stared dazed into Gabriel’s eyes. I clenched and unclenched my hands, normally I was supposed to save humans from this but here I was doing nothing to stop Gabriel. I looked around to make sure no one else was paying attention to what was happening to the nurse.