Chapter 5 (Edited)

Chapter 5

When I woke up sunlight was shining into my eyes. I shielded my eyes and sat up with a groan. I had only slept for five hours, I realized after seeing the time displayed on the clock. No wonder I felt tired. I looked down at myself and realised that I was still dressed so I changed into different clothes and left my room to go to the dining hall for breakfast. As I walked in everyone went quiet. At the Academy, word spread fast so I was pretty sure by now everyone knew about Erik’s and my involvement in the battle that went down yesterday.

I looked around and spotted Liz sitting at a table with Ryan, Melissa and Jordan. I was surprised to also see Erik sitting at the table too. The others were looking uncomfortable with him being there and with all the looks directed at their table. Normally Erik got breakfast and then walked out with it; he never ate in the dining hall. I sat down next to Liz when I had gotten to the table. Liz sighed then slid her plate over to me. I smiled at her in thanks; I didn’t quite feel like walking over to the buffet to get breakfast with all the eyes on me. I then regarded Erik who was sitting opposite to Liz and beside Ryan.

“I’m here so I can start studying as soon as possible. I can not believe I just said that but I figured that I would need all the studying time I could get to have a good score on that test,” He explained. Melissa snorted as if she couldn’t believe it either and that there was no way in hell that Erik would do well on any test. Erik shot her a glare and Melissa shut up looking a bit scared but mostly angry.

“Okay but I need to eat something first,” I told Erik between mouthfuls of fruits. I picked up one pancake to eat on the way to the library and gestured for Liz and Erik to follow me. Erik gave Liz a curious look. “Liz is going to help you study,” I explained. Erik rolled his eyes but didn’t say anything. I looked over at Melissa, Ryan and Jordan who remained at the table and waved goodbye as I left. They looked quite relived to have Erik go.

“The library, really?” asked Erik disbelievingly looking at the library in distaste. Liz sighed and when Erik wasn’t paying attention mouthed the words, you owe me for this to me. I gave her curt nod so Erik didn’t see. Liz made her way to a table that was out of view from most parts of the library. Many bookshelves that surrounded that spot Liz chose making this the most private place in the library. The spot was very seldom used because many people forgot that it was even there and this time was no different.

The table was actually in a good place and if it wasn’t out of view it would always be used. The table was one of the better ones in the library and it was near a stain glass window that had a window seat. It had a few old fashion lights that hung over the table but the light bulbs had burned out and the librarians had forgotten to change them. Liz went over to the lantern on the table and took out the candle out of the lantern. It was a purple unscented candle that was unused or at least it was until Liz pulled out a match and lit the candle. She placed the candle back into the lantern that was fixed on the table so that it wasn’t knocked over and then walked over to the window seat and made herself comfortable on it. I sat on one of the chair nearest to Liz and looked over at Erik. He was just standing in one place looking very uncomfortable.

“Well sit, you have studying to do,” commanded Liz. Erik walked over and took the chair opposite to me. “Since Damien has no idea what to do when he is studying for his own tests much less when he is helping other people study I’ll mostly be helping you study. I’m quite good at that. I spoke to the teachers and found out that you will be taking your test on Wednesday, so that means you have two days to study.” Erik slumped down in his seat hopelessly. He obviously didn’t believe two days of studying would help him get the mark he needed to get.

“Well this was a good plan,” Erik sighed. “It’s a shame it was never going to work out. I mean, it’s impossible, what you’re asking me to do is a herculean task.”