Chapter 17 (Edited)

Chapter 17

“Well that was helpful,” Alexandria sarcastically muttered. “That last comment she made was likely just to mess with your head.”

“You don’t sound so sure,” I told her. “Is there something you’re not telling me?” Alexandria stood up and stared down at me with an unreadable expression daring me to say more. Was it just my imagination that Alexandria’s eyes darkened? “Never mind,” I ended up saying.

“Now this means you have no leads for finding any of the people you’re looking for,” She commented as she held out a hand and pulled me up off of the ground.

“Yeah, there’s something I don’t quite get though, Tristan has always been one to keep all his information on something electronic but I didn’t see any laptop at his apartment and I looked everywhere.”

“Just because you didn’t see something doesn’t mean he didn’t have one.” Alexandria pulled out her keys and with one last glare at the coven’s house started walking towards her car. “He may have hidden it or it may have been taken.”

“You think he hid something?” I asked her once she was on the road again. Alexandria nodded then once again turned the music up. “What do you think is up with Erik?”

“I don’t know, he’s your friend,” she replied. She didn’t glance at me as I took out my phone to check for messages. There were none, I had hoped that Erik had maybe texted me.

“He’s not really a friend, just my partner,” I told her.

“Yeah, sure,” Alexandria said obviously not convinced. It wasn’t until we were back at the apartment I was renting that I realized what happened; Alexandria had expertly changed the subject by saying Erik was a friend. I narrowed my eyes at her, she knew something about Erik. Alexandria sent me a questioning glance but I didn’t disclose what I was thinking.

I shoved the two duffel bags off of my bed and they fell with a thud on the ground. Alexandria froze and stared at the bags with a peculiar expression. She took a step towards one of the bags.

“I don’t think duffel bags packed full of papers make that noise when they hit the floor,” she said before she grabbed one of the bags and ran her fingers along the lining while I stared at her thinking she was crazy. I watched curiously at her as she dumped all the papers out and then ripped apart the inside lining of the bag and held up a flash drive. I gaped at the flash drive in her fingers and was about to reach for it when we were interrupted.

“What are you doing?” asked Veronica. I sighed; Veronica really needed to learn to respect privacy and not just walk into other people’s apartments. I opened my mouth to tell her that she needed to leave but Alexandria started talking.

“Do you have a laptop we can use? It’s really important.” I shook my head at Alexandria but either she didn’t see it or she ignored it. Veronica nodded, also not noticing my action.

“Uh, yeah sure, I’ll go get it now,” she replied looking surprised by the question. She turned around quickly and practically ran out of the room and as a result was back pretty quickly.

“Okay thanks, I’ll bring it back after we’re done,” Alexandria said as she took the laptop from her. Veronica hesitated but upon seeing Alexandria’s annoyed look backed up out of the apartment and left.

Alexandria set down the laptop which was already unlocked and plugged the flash drive in it. When it loaded I saw there was only one file on it. I reached out and clicked on the file. The file was basically a bunch of addresses but only one was highlighted; a warehouse that was located outside of the city.